addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Makelab Charleston Message Board › Charleston Hackathon - Aug 27th!

Charleston Hackathon - Aug 27th!

Amanda
user 11091424
Charleston, SC
Post #: 23
Hi everyone!

I hope your weekend is going well so far! :)

I wanted to let you all know about a Charleston area event coming up: SPARC's first annual Hackathon: the APPocalypse! I am a developer at SPARC, and also the organizer of this event. SPARC is a Charleston based systems integration organization, providing full software development lifecycle support services with experience in the commercial, federal, government, and contracting industries. The following is the tag line for our upcoming event:

"Are you one of the best mobile app developers in town? Want a chance to win $5000 worth of cash and prizes? Register for SPARC's first annual Hackathon: the APPocalypse! Teams of 1-3 developers will have 10 hours to develop a randomly selected mobile app idea on their choice of platform. Food, caffeine & alcohol will be provided during development! Reserve your spot today @ hackathon.sparcedge.com!!!"

Also, contestants will have the choice of developing the app for Android, iOS, Blackberry or Windows Phone 7. Developers will need to bring their own hardware to code on over the 10 hour implementation window, but will check in their application and demo on SPARC provided devices. A panel of five judges will choose the Overall Winning app, and the spectators will choose an Audience Favorite from the 30 completed applications. Right now, we have confirmed judges from Google, Red Hat, Charleston Digital Cooridor, as well as SPARC! The Overall Winning team will receive $750 cash and 2 tablets of their choice; the Audience Favorite will receive $750 cash! This event will occur on Saturday, August 27th at SPARC: 2387 Clements Ferry Road, Charleston, SC 29492. On the day of the event: Check-in will be from 10am-12pm, Development from 12pm-10pm and Judging & Awards from 10pm-12am. Contestants must be 21 years of age or older to participate, 18-20 will be considered with verification of experience. And, anyone can submit mobile app ideas to be considered for development during the event here:

https://spreadsheets....­

I hope that some of you will come out and participate! There is such a large technology presence here in Charleston, and we are working hard to bring everyone an event were we can all come together, hack some code and compete for some fabulous cash and prizes!! :)

In addition, if you would also be willing to pass this along to anyone you think might be interested, I would greatly appreciate it!! We're getting close to the event, and I really want this thing to be a huge success!! And the more teams we get, the more exciting the competition will be! ;)

Feel free to reply with any questions you might have!

Thanks again!

Amanda Noyes
amanda.noyes@sparcedge.com
Amanda
user 11091424
Charleston, SC
Post #: 29
Also, please note: *All developed mobile applications will be given back to the community via free or open source apps!* Thanks! :)
Amanda
user 11091424
Charleston, SC
Post #: 34
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know that registration is still open! You can sign up as a team, or as an individual to be placed on a team. If you just want to stop by the event for some free food and beverages, and check out all the fun - rsvp on the site too! hackathon.sparcedge.com

I hope a few of you can make it out on Saturday! :)

Thanks!

Amanda