North Manchester West African Drum Circle Message Board › A little help between classes

A little help between classes

lennie b.
user 26851152
Prestwich, GB
Post #: 3
Hi guys
I wonder if it would be possible for you to put some form of notation on this site for us to correspond with the rhythems we are learning.
I often find that when I have got the rhythem I am slap and toning in all the wrong places. It's so hard to catch what your super fast hands are doing so I rely on memory alone, which is by far not my best asset!
It would be far easier for us to then practice at home as I don't know what to practice by the time I get home, and It's worth a try as it could really make a difference to our progress.

Some one in class had their own notation system that looked something like this...

Timing-----------1+2+3+4+ 1+2+3+4+
Action------------T_T_B_T_ T_ B_B_ _ _
Hand-------------R L R L R L R

This translates into part of a rhythem we are currently doing and will be easily recognised if played correctly.

The above also takes into account the time inbetween beats with the +. I know it may look confusing to start with but once understood, it does make it easier to get it right I think.

Love n light

Len xx

Craig W.
Treedrum
Manchester, GB
Post #: 36
Hi len, have a look at this and tell me if it makes any sense. http://www.paulnas.eu...­ Its where all the notation comes from when we are looking for the right notation. I can show how it works next time I see you. Have fun, Craig
lennie b.
user 26851152
Prestwich, GB
Post #: 4
Thats fantastic! Thank you smile Would be great if you can give us a little show n tell on wednesday too just incase we think we have got it but really totally don't!
Cheers dude x