addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Manhattan Art Book Club Message Board › About Saturday, September 7th

About Saturday, September 7th

Beth G.
user 12594433
New York, NY
Post #: 1
It was wonderful to meet you all at yesterday's discussion. I left feeling ambivalent about my role as a leader. I have heard that you prefer a more free-flowing conversation. The desire to speak freely and candidly is up to you. My role is to point out connections, stimulate thought and offer informed information to guide understanding.
My New York Arts Exchange tour groups are always very small (no more than 7) to ensure that we have lively and candid conversations in front of the works for art. I am not sure at this point whether I am the right person for this group. Perhaps, you would be better served with a leader from last year's group.
Kit
user 57269882
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 2
I think that Jean wrote a great description of what it has been like to be a member of the group for the past year. (See her post under the discussion for the next meet up.) While I love to learn from an expert, (I really do! And Beth is a true expert and a teacher.) I have treasured the spontaneous and egalitarian nature of this group, which has never failed to be intellectually stimulating and satisfying - even without a leader. Beth, I hope that you stay in the group as a member if we do go back to our previous format.
John
user 10266547
New York, NY
Post #: 3
I felt Beth handled the discussion moderator role very well for the her first attempt. She gave everyone an opportunity, even the quiet ones. Most groups I've experienced tend to favor those who are already comfortable with public speaking. Some very astute comments were expressed in this format. I move to keep Beth as moderator and find the groups structure style over time.