add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Maryland Socrates Cafe Meetup Group Message Board › Follow up: Euro-Zone Crisis: An Ethical Perspective

Follow up: Euro-Zone Crisis: An Ethical Perspective

Jeff K.
user 4320213
New Market, MD
Post #: 23
It's always great fun to get together with this group. The one problem I saw with using the Eurozone issue is that it's so complex, making it easy for economic and cultural side issues to distract from philosophical matters. That said, some understanding of economic issues is necessary, lest any prescriptions defy intuition and lead to unintended negative consequences.

One area that I don't feel I was clear on is that while I accept the methodological individualistic approach to ethics, economics, and other social disciplines, I obviously don't deny that the formation of groups and the resulting coordination (whether implicit or explicit) can create and effect change in ways that would not be possible if done by individual actors. In other words, just as a group of musicians can team up to form an orchestra, an unspecified number of actors in an economy can create and trade in ways that affect market supply and demand (as measured by the price mechanism). My point is that the individuals are the starting point. Without trees, a forest does not exist.

BTW, as long as no ones rights to life, liberty or property are being violated, I do prefer it when more people are happy than when fewer are... in case any of you were wondering! :)