Meditation and Stress Reduction
Prolonged, sustained, excessive stress and your similar response to it, not only causes deterioration of your brain, but it also compromises your immune system; your ability to fight off diseases.
Thousands of years ago, we mostly lived until we either starved, were accidentally poisoned or we were eaten by another animal. Now, we have the distinct ability to slowly kill ourselves over a period of about 80 years with chemical laced foods, too much alcohol and prolonged reaction to stressful events. All are avoidable, if we make the choice to do so.
Do you know?
1. Stress has been called “the silent killer” and is linked to the six leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, liver cirrhosis, and suicide.
If you don't believe it, watch this life changing video:Stress, Portrait of a Killer - Full Documentary - 55 minhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYG0ZuTv5rs
2. Laughing lowers stress hormones, lowers blood pressure, and strengthens the immune system by releasing health-enhancing hormones. Laughter also triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, and produces a general sense of well-being.
3. A 2009 CNN poll reveals that the number one reason for stress in most countries is money.
4. Research has shown that dark chocolate reduces stress hormones such as cortisol and other fight-flight hormones. Eating moderate levels of dark chocolate reduces stress hormone levels.
5. Chinese stress balls (Baoding balls) were created during the Ming dynasty (1368-1644) in Baoding, China. Originally made of iron, the balls are thought to relieve stress because they touch pressure or acupuncture points on the hand.
6. Men are more likely than women to develop certain stress-related disorders, including hypertension, aggressive behavior, and abuse of alcohol and drugs.
7. Tranquilizers, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety medications account for one fourth of all prescriptions written in the U.S. each year.
8. Stress also affects the immune system, which protects us from many serious diseases.
9. Stress also contributes to the development of alcoholism, obesity, suicide, drug addiction, cigarette addiction, and other harmful behaviors.
Our 5 Favorite Stress Reducing QuotesGive Yourself a Break and Slow Down
Are you stressed out and in need of a break? Don't get burned out. We all need to slow down once in awhile. You deserve a break. Renew your mind and rediscover the beauty of being alive. Sometimes we just need to hear something encouraging to help put things into perspective. Here are our 5 favorite stress reducing quotes.
1. "Stress is the trash of modern life - we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life."
2. "If your teeth are clenched and your fists are clenched, your lifespan is probably clenched."
3. "My body needs laughter as much as it needs tears. Both are cleansers of stress."
4. "Give your stress wings and let it fly away."
5. "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
Recommended Book:How To Stop Worrying And Start Living:
Time-Tested Methods For Conquering Worry,
By Dale Carnegie