Meet Geek Tucson Message Board › Please read: Future of the group

Please read: Future of the group

A former member
Post #: 5
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to touch base with everyone and let you all know about something coming up. You may not know this but when you run a group, Meet Up actually charges you as a leader. It's not a huge sum, but I'm not going to be able to have the carrying cost anymore. On July 23, this means that this group will go away if we don't have someone else take over. Or we could move over to a Facebook group of some kind which would be free.

Running the group isn't that much of a chore, it's just scheduling events. i try to do once a month. No one seemed to come to the actual "event" events (Science Center, etc) so that's why we've mostly been doing just the general meet and talk geek events lately.

If you are interested in taking over the group, please contact me. If you would like to see it move over to Facebook, also contact me. I'll need some sort of concensus or new leader by mid-week next week so we can make the transition or get everything moving with a new location (facebook).

Thanks again.

Jesse
Brian
user 54228932
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
Having just discovered this group, I'm sorry to see it (possibly) going away. I'd certainly join a FB group were it to be available.
Caroline
CarolineGardner
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
I just created a Facebook group for another Meetup where the organizer was no longer available. It's free, easy and the only obstacle seems to be getting people from Meetup to actually come over to FB and join the group.

One nice feature is that you don't need to 'friend' everybody - you just hang out together in the group area, post events and info and generally do what you do over here on Meetup.

FB is a great idea, imho.
A former member
Post #: 51
I moved my group to Facebook and Google+ when the costs became too much to remain on meetup. Tucson SF/F Group http://www.facebook.c...­
https://plus.google.c...­

Either place has good tools for creating events and such.

If you want to merge with my group, we do montly book discussions, monthly general geek talk type gatherings, monthly b movie nights (at the moment we are doing Game of Thrones though), and a monthly games night.

Either way, I hope to find time to get out and meet all of you soon!

Cheryl

ETA: link to google plus page.
A former member
Post #: 1
Unless there is a way to join Facebook events without a facebook account I'd prefer Google+. Though I realize that the number of people that don't use facebook is tiny so whatever works out best for the group.

Or perhaps a Paypal account could be setup for donations to cover the ongoing meetup cost?