addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Melbourne Functional User Group (MFUG) Message Board › Category theory for programmers

Category theory for programmers

David O.
user 40610282
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Following up from last night's talks: I have found the blog Haskell for All really good for helping me understand how category theory can be useful for programming. It gives some practical examples of using categories, functors, free monads, etc. It also (as the name suggests) provides some nice introductory Haskell material.

I would recommend starting with the first post Haskell for Mainstream Programmers - Code reuse and reading them in order. However, for the impatient, probably the two key posts on category theory are The category design pattern and The functor design pattern.

I would also highly recommend post on another blog, Why do Monads Matter?, which shows how categories and monads are not only useful for programming and computation, but actually fundamental.
A former member
Post #: 1
thanks! those links are really digestible!