MelbJVM Pot Luck
Come and talk about anything!
As its January and a lot of people are out of town, we normally do a social thing at a bar over a few drinks.
This time around, we'd like to do a 'JVM POT LUCK' where everyone brings a tidbit of info about something on the JVM and we build our own meetup based on snippets of everyones knowledge. (See examples below)
We are still at a bar - long standing MelbJVM'ers will remember Horse Bazaar on little Lonsdale between Elizabeth and Queen - and we'll still be drinking.
We've got the stage at Horse Bazaar from 7 -> 7.30 and will have access to the projector, laptop, internet and mic if you need it.
Examples of what you can talk about:
• When was Java invented?
• What's a CAFEBABE?
Java 9 and beyond
• Value Types
• Bad Memory Leaks or Performance issues you've had to diagnose
• WTFs you've seen in your and your colleagues code
• Alternate JRE/JVM implementations OpenJDK, Azul, IBM J9
• How do you store an unsigned 64 bit long?
• Java puzzlers, best practices
• Raspberry Pi & IoT adventures
• Alternate VM Langs: Scala, Groovy, Android, Clojure
Whats new (or you've newly discovered)
• New Tools, Frameworks that you're playing with
• Gradle, Play Framework, Spring Boot, Android, Angular
• This neat shortcut I found in IntelliJ / Eclipse
• The Best online course / presentation you did
• The worst computer science lecturer or tutor you had
• The weather
• The taste of the beer
• Getting to the venue