Memphis Outdoor Adventures Message Board Where to go? › Backpacking

Backpacking

Leonard T.
user 13383667
Memphis, TN
Post #: 1
I don't have much gear either but I am interested in the short beginner backpack trip. Just let me know when we are having the initial meeting.
Eddie M.
user 13638815
Hernando, MS
Post #: 7
I am thinking a April 9th Saturday at Shelby Forrest as a meet and greet and go though mine and anyone else that brings one, pack. Leah has said she will try to come out and bring all her gear and be able to talk to any of the women to give feedback from a woman's point of view to all the ladies.. er an men I guess hahaha. Let me know if this works for you guys or give me a alternative date. I am pretty much booked up for the rest of April and after this weekend for the rest of May.
All I am thinking is to do a get together and if anyone wants to then we can camp or what not. Any other suggestions on place. Only other local place that would be suitable would be the Dam at Arkabukla.
A former member
Post #: 3
I have to work on the 9th, but I'll be off at 3:pm. I could be up to Shelby Forrest by about 3:30. If there is any way we could do it on Saturday the 2nd or Sunday the 10th, I will be available all day.
There is the Herb Parsons Hike on April the 2nd, so we could possibilly kill 2 birds with one stone; show some gear & get a hike in...
A former member
Post #: 4
Eddie, if you want to call me, send me a P.M. (e-mail) and we can iron out any details.

Dennis
Don
user 11226304
Memphis, TN
Post #: 4
Hey Eddie,

One of my absolute favorite places to hike is only an hour away to the west............Village Creek State Park, located between Forrest City, AR and Wynne, AR. A straight shot west on I-40 for 50 minutes to the exit; then 10 minutes to the Park entrance. Located on top of Crowley's Ridge, it offers a nice hardwood forest, little streams, lakes and moderate inclines & declines. It also has a lot of horse trails in addition to the normal hiking trails. Facilities include campgrounds with and without power. It might be a good place for first-timers to go and it isn't too far from Memphis.

Justa thought,

Don
Eddie M.
user 13638815
Hernando, MS
Post #: 8
Don.. I am trying to stay away from Herb Parsons for a while. Back when I ran the club we about killed that poor trail lol. I was running 2 hikes a day there. One for the folks that wanted a 7am hike and one for the 10am folks.. Let me tell you, knock out 12 miles before lunch sometime lol. Nice lake, I just am over it an most trails in Memphica for that matter. VCSP is nice and worth a occasional visit, as is Big Hill, Shelby Forrest Ft. Pillow and Arkabuckla. Shelby and Ark both offer a close good place for people to meet and still hit a few trails with a pack on so they can get a feel of how a pack will ride, yet camp in a campground with some amenities. From there I would work them to Big Hill and from there Either Buffalo or Eagle Rock. Both are great summer time pack outings as they are fairly close to water.
As for the meetup I can do the 2nd at Herb Parsons. I was just thinking that some may want to camp but I can go either way.

So who is up for Herb Parsons April 2nd, after the monthly hike? If I can get one other person to say ok I will set it up.
Mike
user 13852629
Memphis, TN
I am in. April 2 at herb parsons after the hike and the trip later on. I have gear.
A former member
Post #: 5
I'll be there too. smile
Eddie M.
user 13638815
Hernando, MS
Post #: 9
Sorry guys but after no one posted up, I made other plans. Planning on being on Locus Fork Sat. Maybe next time.

Eddie
A former member
Eddie- If you are still planning the meet and greet for the backpacking on April 9 at Shelby Farms, I can go. I have very little backpacking experience from years ago. I have the basic equipment- tent, s. bag, stove, water filter, etc., hopefully its still in working condition. Maybe I can bring it have have you look at it. Thanks for organizing this.