Memphis Outdoor Adventures Message Board Chit Chat › International Exchange Students

International Exchange Students

Beth E.
user 14572700
Memphis, TN
Post #: 7
I am a Local Coordinator for the non-profit Council on International Educational Exchange, and we are looking for host families for international high school students. There are great kids who want to experience the US for 5 or 10 months. The students come from many countries, including Mexico, Germany, Brazil, Thailand, China, Spain and more.

HOST AN INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE STUDENT!!

Open your heart and your home to an International High School student for one semester or a full school year. This has proven to be the best tool of diplomacy and bridge building between nations.

After celebrating 64 years in international education as a non-profit organization, the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) remains highly committed to our mission: "To help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world."
Each student in our program is individually interviewed to ensure that they have the appropriate maturity level to be a successful participant in our program.
CIEE strongly believes that by volunteering their time to community service, our students will become more involved in the American way of life. Therefore, we require that they participate in a "Community Service Project" (8 hours per semester) to ensure that they reciprocate the exchange and benefits to their host family, school, and their community.
Students are between 15-18 years old, have their own medical insurance, and spending money. There is no better time than NOW to learn more about our neighbors in the world!!
Students will arrive in August 2013 for 5 or 10 months.

Why Host?
• Introduce the heart of America
• Unite our future leaders
• Strengthen mutual understanding
• Gain new insights and appreciation
for different cultures
• Affect attitudes over lifetimes

Please help us make a difference in the world!
Be sure to visit our website for more information and to access the Host Family application at www.ciee.org/highschool
For more information and to participate in this rewarding intercultural experience please contact Beth at 901-755-6019.

Below are some examples of exchange students who need a host family:

Lorenzo is a boy from Italy. " I am 16 years old and I am Italian. I live with my parents and my younger sister . I go to the Scientific High School. This is my third year. I am strongly interested in the USA High School Programm to discover the culture of this country. I decided to participate to this program to improve my English well and get to know a new culture and a way of life different from mine. I enjoy sailing and cycling."

Mara is a German girl. "I am a happy extraverted girl. My friends and my family say that they can trust me and I am very cooperative.
Besides my school tasks I love joining the soccer club and the Big Band of my school. There I play the Saxophone.I also play in an other orchestra. At school I am a tutor, who helps the pupils, just entered our school. At home I often help my old grandma in cooking and cleaning her flat. On my program I would like to join a soccer club or an orchestra. I also love children, so i could imagine to do voltunteer work with kids. In my freetime I enjoy meeting friends. I have a brother and a rabbit and I live together with my mother and her life partner." PetsOK except allergic to cats and afraid of snakes and spiders.

Paul is a 16 year old boy from FRANCE. Many people tell me that I am a generous and open-minded, my patience can sometimes be useful in some bad situations. My passion is definitely the piano and I cannot refrain from playing every day since I have 3 years old. I am part of a running club and I especially like the mountain whatsoever for skiing or hiking, I love to watch movies whether modern or not, and playing to chess and board games in general. I traveled a lot during my childhood and unknown spaces do not scare me; me and my family always slept in local people’s house during our travels. I have one older sister. I have always had cats in the house since I was born and I like pets in general. DPOK. GPA: 3.30 SLEP Score: 60 Program Length: 10 months Orientation: Private School: No. Allergies: Dust allergy

We have many other students and are happy to match you to the student that best fits your family! Call Beth at 755-6019 for more information.