Lakeview Gardens Funeral Home and Cemetery, 12100 E. 13th St. (96 Hwy. & N. 13th East), Wichita, KS
Here is a list of all the equipment you will or might want to bring and instructions. Please remember to bring your own cameras, flashlights, etc.
• What you may Encounter:
There are generally 2 types of spirits you may encounter. One was a human at one time and has remained on this level for some reason. It may not know it's dead, may be held here by unfinished business, guilt, etc. These spirits are like the person was when they were alive, so they could be good or bad, just like the living, but not normally dangerous. This human spirit is he type you will encounter 95% of the time.
The other type of spirits you may encounter were never human and are generally bad news. You must be aware of this type but not obsessed with them, The chances that you will encounter them in a regular ghost hunt are slim. So, be aware and protect yourself and you should have no problem.
• General Tips
Check out the area in daylight so you are familiar with the area. Look for dangerous places and obstacles that you will not be able to see in the dark.
Make sure you bring your ID, (drivers license, etc.), so if you are questioned by the police you can prove who you are. Never go alone. This is just common sense. If you get hurt, who will get help?
The best times are from 9pm to 6am, these are the psychic hours, but anytime can produce results. Photos have historically been better in the dark but don't let that discourage you from taking them during the day.
Find out all you can about the history of the locale. Newspapers, town historians, internet and books can be helpful finding folklore or hard facts about the site. The books and web pages dealing with this type of information is enormous.
• What to Bring
Digital Voice Recorder
Audio recorders - Audio recorders are used for many different purposes throughout an investigation. Recorders are used for interviews, spontaneous thoughts, your notes and electronic voice phenomena (EVP). When using audio recorders be sure to state the location, time of investigation, and investigator’s names. When recording investigators names, it would be wise to have each individual present state their own names, which will make it easier for distinction among voices heard on the tape during review.
Flashlight w/ spare batteries - Bring spare batteries for everything. Due to spirit activity, batteries often run down very fast. Use a red light flashlight to help preserve your night vision.
First aid kit
Notebook w/ pens and pencils- you need to write and login everything that happens.
Jackets or weather appropriate clothes
A Watch - so you can log in the times of events and your arrival and departure.
A Video Camera (optional tripod)
Hand Held Radios or Walkie Talkies
• Step by Step Procedures
Here's a condensed version the most popular procedures for conducting outdoor ghost hunts:
1. Have everyone meet near the location and decide who will work each piece of equipment and divide into teams if necessary.
2. Enter the site and either privately or as a group ask for blessing or protection for the duration of the hunt.
3. Walk around the area to get a feel for the surroundings and allow the spirits to get a feel for you. Do this for about 20 minutes. Log in your start time and weather conditions and any other relevant information. You can also begin to set up any stationary equipment like camera on tripods or motion detectors. Make note of any areas that may cause you to get false readings or false positive pictures.
4. Get some pictures and recordings. Be sure to note anything unusual that happens especially meter and temperature readings, visual sightings and strange sounds. Also make notes of any feelings or emotions you feel that may be odd or out of place. You can compare notes after the hunt and look for similarities in readings and feeling in certain areas or at certain times.
5. When you are done have everyone meet in one spot and ask the human spirits here not to follow you home and to remain here. Tell the others they must remain here in the name of God (or other good deities). Some additional steps for a house or building ghost hunt/investigation
* Every investigator or team should keep a log of events/times - everything needs to be logged, not matter how trivial. You sneeze, log it in, it may have sounded like something else to another member elsewhere in the building.
* Orbs are most likely going to be some sort of airborne debris, pollen, dust, etc so do get too excited when you capture these on you camera
* No smoking at the location
* All long hair should be tied back or under a hat to eliminate any false positive pictures.
* Remove or tie up any camera straps so you don't take a picture of that.
* Watch for reflective surfaces and make notes of them.
* Let fellow investigators know when you are taking a photo so that you don't get double flashes.
* In cold weather be conscious of your breath so you don't photograph that, it'll look like ectoplasm mist.
* Many people like to ask the spirit if they can take their picture , it can't hurt.
* Take pictures anywhere and everywhere. If you feel something or someone else does, take a picture. Take photos whenever you get a positive readings on any piece of equipment.
* Sometimes you will see an orb, mist or sparkles in your flash or others flashes, take more pictures right there, you may be near a spirit.
Audio and Video Recording
* During audio recording, ask questions whether general ones or one specific to a certain spirit. You can find a few ideas of question on or near the gravestones (i.e. how did you
die, ask who left flowers, who is the president, did you live here, etc.)
* Make sure you view or listen to the whole recording. EVPs are usually not heard at the time of recording but are heard only after the tape is reviewed.
* If it is is raining, snowing or foggy, reschedule it.
* Keep an open mind, any negative feelings may drive the spirits away. Be respectful of the locations and the dead.
* Be skeptical, look for causes for any phenomenon such as natural or man made causes. * No whispering, it can taint your recording results.
* Do not wear perfume, cologne or anything else with a very noticeable scent. Spirits often use scents and smells to get our attention.