Meteor Philadelphia Message Board › Meteor Challenge 2014

Meteor Challenge 2014

Trevor G.
user 47242662
Philadelphia, PA
Hey Philly Meteorites,
We're in the midst of planning the next meetup, but I wanted to pass along this note from Meteor Development Group about Meteor Challenge.
Bottom line: Star meteor on github and $5 will be donated to help under-represented kids learn to code. Takes 2 seconds, hope you're able to do it.
See you all at the next meet up! All 92 of you!
Here is the original email from Meteor:
Hi everyone - I have an interesting challenge for you, and it only takes 1 or 2 minutes to do your part. Nine leading Meteor companies and supporters have just come together and pledged up to $25,000 to help kids learn how to code. It's the first-annual Meteor Challenge -- this year, we're raising money for CodeNow, a nonprofit that teaches programming to under-represented high school students. CodeNow runs free workshops taught by industry-leading software engineers, and they've provided more than 20,000 hours of training to over 400 students since 2011. 49% of their students are female, and more than 80% of the students qualify for free or reduced meal programs. CodeNow will use our $25,000 for workshops, training laptops, and more. 
Here's where you come in: the pledges work by giving $5 for each new person who discovers Meteor and likes it enough to star on GitHub. The deal's only on this week -- let's see if we can introduce 5,000 new people to Meteor by next Monday, June 30. It's an ambitious target for such a short timeframe, and it's the first time we've tried something like this. I can't say if we'll make it. But I'm curious to see what the Meteor community can pull off.​The sponsors include Discover Meteor and EventedMind (top Meteor learning resources); Percolate StudioDifferential, and Project Ricochet (Meteor consulting shops); Heavybit (early Meteor supporter); Paytagz (production Meteor app); and yours truly, Meteor Development Group. We all have a big stake in spreading the Meteor love far and wide. With 1.0 coming this year, now is the perfect time to warm up your "welcome new folks into our community" muscles.
Here are a few ways you can help us get this money for CodeNow: 1) If you're a fan of Meteor, star us on GitHub if you haven't yet! 2) Share the campaign on TwitterFacebook, and Google+. 3) Forward this e-mail to your coworkers, classmates, and friends, with a sentence about why you think they should take a look at Meteor and star it.  4) Pick five friends and walk them through the Meteor quick start in person. If they like Meteor, remind them to star it on GitHub. 5) Run a simple Meteor 101 at work, school, or your local tech meetup. Take a look at these talks by Oli Evans and Sacha Greif for inspiration. 6) Write and share a short blog post about your experience with Meteor and its community
Meteor was designed from day one to be accessible to experts and novices alike, whether you're a lean startupweb beginner, or even a kid. If we pull together, I think we could reach a lot of people in a short time. Plus, the Meteor Challenge means that each time you teach a friend about Meteor, you'll help teach a CodeNow student about programming as well. This is the first time the community has run a campaign like this, so I can only guess at how big it could get. Let's see if we can blow this out of the water and start a new Meteor community tradition. Tell me about what you're doing to spread Meteor and tweet it out with #meteorchallenge. I can't wait to hear what you come up with! Yours,Alice  PS - If you're making money with Meteor, it's not too late to join in as a sponsor! Just e-mail­ and let us know how much you'd like to pledge. More sponsors means we can raise our goal, reach even more new Meteorites, and help even more CodeNow kids.