Metro Atlanta Meaningful Gamification Group Message Board › Meaningful Gamification: Are You Still Interested?

Meaningful Gamification: Are You Still Interested?

Malcus R.
malrich
Group Organizer
Duluth, GA
Hello Members of Meaningful Gamification Meetup Group,

This is just a checkup message to see who is/is not still interestd in the group. I set up a small meeting on Sun, Feb 17 at Starbucks and so far I am the only RSVP.

I for one still have an interest in the topic. I am working on some educational products. Others have also expressed interests in specific areas of gaming.

If the date, or the location, is not convenient, or some other adjustment needs to be made, please let me know. We don't need a large crowd---just a passionate crowd.

I'd hate to see this group dissolve, but if there is no interest then perhaps that is what we should do.

Regards,

Mal

A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Mal - thanks for starting this discussion.

I am definitely interested. Unfortunately the timing for this meeting will not work for me.

This past year I've spent a lot of my time working in the area of meaningful games (more specifically games for health) and am excited to talk with others in the Atlanta area who have an interest in this topic.

Some background: I run an Atlanta-based NGO that is working to prevent teen dating violence. In 2008 I launched a game design competition for developers to create video games about this issue. The 6th annual event will be launched this Friday, Feb 15th. (details tba) The winning games from the past 5 years are available online for free: jenniferann.org/games­ .

We also recently launched our first mobile game (Android only) which is also free through the Amazon Appstore: bit.ly/GracesDiary (BTW, we could use more downloads + positive reviews!!!)

Last year I spoke at the Games for Health conference in Boston as well as the Europe Games for Health in Amsterdam. I also spoke at SIEGECon here in Atlanta as well as some smaller conferences / seminars.

I'm a strong proponent of using video games for purposes in addition to entertainment and in the current political climate believe that now is an ideal time to educate the policymakers (and the public at large) about the many roles of gaming.

Thanks again - I believe that this is an important area of gaming for many reasons and am sure that there are many in the community that appreciate your efforts!

- Drew
Malcus R.
malrich
Group Organizer
Duluth, GA
Post #: 2
Drew- Thx for your response. Its good to know that someone is still interested, and again the group doesn't have to be large--only passionate. But I suspect others may still be interested as well. So hopefully others will contribute to this discussion so we can figure out how to structure this group such that it meets everyone's needs.
-malrich