addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Michigan Photo Adventures Message Board › Going to UP and need a little guidance

Going to UP and need a little guidance

Barbara S.
user 34226152
Canton, MI
Post #: 4
I have never been to the UP and have a wonderful opportunity
I have a canon 50D with a 55-250mm zoom lens - and a 18-55mm
Landscape lens - will these be enough for taquemon falls and
Pictured rocks? Should I rent a lens, if so suggestion.

Also I feel like I am so clumsy with tripod any tricks as every
Thing I have read indicates its the only way to go.

Looking forward to hearing from my shutterbug friends.
Jamie F.
dbaJamie
Southfield, MI
Post #: 8
Barbara,

Those lenses should be fine. They are probably kit lenses, but should do the job. Yes, you could get better glass. It is your choice. You might want to consider a polarizing filter especially for Pictured Rocks to give you a nicer sky and cut down on any glare. The best views are from the water. There is a scenic cruise out of Munising. Shooting from the boat is probably best and handheld is fine.

For the Tahquamenon Falls you want a tripod for a longer time exposure shot if you want the dreamy flow to the falls. Without a tripod, it is possible to set up the camera in a secure spot with a time release. Perhaps using a camera bag or bean bag. Even a gorilla pod or small tripod that will hold your 50D will be an advantage. A cable release or using time release is helpful.

~Jamie