addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Michigan Photo Adventures Message Board › Canon Lens

Canon Lens

Daniel B.
user 106072702
Warren, MI
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my lens... I've mainly been using the basic manufactures lens and have sank most of my money into lighting. Now that my lighting equipment is where I want it to be, I am looking at a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM. Does anyone have any opinions about lenses for Canon that are in the same price range? I do a lot of night shoots in the city as well as studio work and would like to find something to work for both.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
John C
user 57196672
Westland, MI
Post #: 22
Daniel,

You cannot go wrong with any of Canon's "L" glass. I own several and the difference in sharpness between the non-L lenses is amazing. Find the focal length that works for the majority of your uses and go with that. Lenses are the real investment and you can use them for years (assuming you stick with Canon).

Good luck!
Luis
user 71144842
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 6
I have the 24-105 f/4 and really like it. The zoom range is very useful for walking a round town as a tourist or shooting indoors with people where you want to get closer. The IS is really nice to have as well.

On the other hand, I am guessing you have a crop-frame camera. If so, the 24 may not be quite wide enough for you in certain situations, especially indoors when trying to get a group picture.

If that is important to you, there is one other lens in that price range I would consider. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. I have that lens and really love it for indoor and low light shooting. It isn't L glass, but it really is a great lens and it will be better than just about any kit lens. Of course, you will not get the zoom that the 24-105 might give you. but it does have a very useful wide range at 17 vs only 24, and it is F/2.8 vs the f/4.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the 24-105 can be used on crop and full frame cameras, whereas the 17-55 is crop only. So if you plan to go to a full frame camera soon, the 17-55 will not be useful to you.

Both lenses are really great, it depends on your intended use.
Sharp M.
sharp_images
Royal Oak, MI
Post #: 10
Hi Daniel,
I have been using Canon L glass for more years than I can remember (since I was in college in the 1980s).
The L glass, in general, is exceptionally nice and sharp, but I wouldn't say the best in the world, since there are some sharper German lenses (some specific Carl Zeiss lenses, for example), but the price is even higher than the Canon L glass.

You said "at night", and I'm not sure if an f4 lens is fast enough for night shooting, unless you shoot with a tripod, and long shutter speed time.

If your camera(s) is not a full-frame, I still suggest you get an EF lens, and not an EF-S because if and when you upgrade to a full-frame camera, you don't need to start buying lenses all over again.
The EF-S lenses are not appropriate for the full-frame cameras.

The 24-105 lens has lots of good reviews, and happy owners. For your specific need, I suggest you rent it for a weekend (from Procam perhaps, who is one of our group's sponsors), and see what you like or dislike about it.
The Canon EF 16-35mm, f2.8, L, (version II now) has been one of my favorite lenses in tight places, and it's a great lens for landscape.
Also, the Canon EF 24-70mm, f2.8, L (version II now) is a very respectable lens that is used by almost every commercial photographer who uses Canon cameras.
There are lots of these lenses on the used market, but they still command a hefty price.

Other respectable lenses are the high-end lenses from Tamron and Sigma. The quality is good, and you save quite a bit on the price.

I hope this helps a bit.