addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Michigan Photo Adventures Message Board › Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles

Jim B.
Advnterrr
Plymouth, MI
Post #: 25
My son related a Bald Eagle story to me this evening. One of his employees had been photographing eagles down along the Detroit River this past weekend. According to the gentleman, there are a lot of eagles, both mature & young fishing in the river.
His location for viewing & photographing is in Ecorse near Mud Island.
I've asked my son to convey a few more questions to this guy and I can post the answers tommorow.
I have already decided to bundle up and go Thursday morning to see for myself. Its a lot closer than Iowa!
I can't vouch for the number of eagles or their proximity to the shoreline, but I'll keep everyone informed.

If anyone is interested in joining me this Thursday, contact me thru email at jmmyb at att dot net
A former member
Post #: 16
My brother in law saw one on Belle Isle two weeks ago.
John C
user 57196672
Westland, MI
Post #: 24
I know a guaranteed place to see Bald Eagles locally…

The Detroit Zoo!

Hahahahahaha…. biggrin
Maurice W. S.
user 26793622
Pontiac, MI
Post #: 9
good morning. Jmmy... I am interested... need a better location than Ecorse near Mud Island
Michael g.
user 129605802
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 1
Hello my name is mike I'm new to the group, but if you never get by algonac mi. There are lots of bald eagles in the area, my wife and I seen 24 of them in one day. I have some amazing photos of them, don't know if I can post pictures on this site but I promise you you will see an eagle here. Check out st. Clair county eagle watchers on fb

Michael g.
user 129605802
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 2
Hello my name is mike I'm new to the group, but if you never get by algonac mi. There are lots of bald eagles in the area, my wife and I seen 24 of them in one day. I have some amazing photos of them, don't know if I can post pictures on this site but I promise you you will see an eagle here. Check out st. Clair county eagle watchers on fb

Jim B.
Advnterrr
Plymouth, MI
Post #: 26
Hey Maurice,
I'm still awaiting a follow up from my sons coworker. In the meantime I did a Google search for "bald eagle count on Mud Island". An entry dated on Sunday described the location as South field Rd at Biddle Rd. The park there is called John Dingell Park and it overlooks the river & island. The poster said he counted 45 bald eagles in the island trees and six heron huddled underneath them.
This is the same location info thatI received my from son. Sorry that I didn't include it in my first post. I don't have a long lens (100-300 & 70-200) and these may not work for the distance.
I hope this additional info helps. I will post addition info as I receive it and/or post images if I capture something worthy of showing.
I plan on going out there on Thursday and will probably arrive at 9am.
Jim
Jim B.
Advnterrr
Plymouth, MI
Post #: 27
Hello Mike and Welcome.
Thanks for the info. Been years since I've been to Algonac. For a time, I lived on the North Channel on the island about 10 houses from the ferry.
Jim B.
Advnterrr
Plymouth, MI
Post #: 28
I guess I should have taken John's guaranteed eagle siting suggestion at the Detroit Zoo. I went to John Dingel Park in Ecorse today to photograph the eagles in that area. There were several people out there from time to time also viewing the eagles and ducks. I could SEE the eagles nested in the far away trees and flying overhead the northeast side of Mud Island, but they would not come any closer to the shoreline. And as far as I could see, the area next to the shoreline was the only area of open water. Oh well, I'll try again next time.
I did see a doe venture off Mud Island onto the ice looking for branches that were hanging over the edges, but even she was too far off to photograph.

I gained a healthy respect for those that braved the icy cold weather near the Mississippi to photograph the eagles out there. Congratulations on your images!
Maurice W. S.
user 26793622
Pontiac, MI
Post #: 10
good day... Advnterrr... Thanks for the information on the location at Mud Island.. Will try my luck one of these cold day.. and well keep the group informed...