addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Michigan Photo Adventures Message Board › Waterproof camera?

Waterproof camera?

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a waterproof camera (for snorkeling). I have a Nikon D7000 I normally shoot with and do not want to buy a waterproof case at this time since I don't snorkel enough to make it worth it. I had a cheap digital camera in an case that worked for the last trip we went on a couple years ago but the battery corroded inside the camera and it no longer works. I've seen that a lot of people like the Olympus TG's and I'm also looking at the Nikon Coolpix AW100 (about the same price). The other 2 would be the pentax WG and the fujifilm finepix xp60. I really don't want to spend more than $200 if I can help it and I no longer have a small point and shoot that I could just buy a case for.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Keira
John C
user 57196672
Westland, MI
Post #: 26
Keira,

I have a Nikon AW100 that I bought for this very reason… Works great. Very happy with the purchase, and to have a small(ish) P&S that I don't have to worry about beating and banging around, dropping, or getting out in the weather.

The only criticism of the camera is that when the GPS is turned on to log the photos automatically, it will drain the battery. The other thing is that it does not have a real long zoom range, but it's good enough for most of my needs so far.

I bought the camera at Costco. Seems like they often have good sales on it.

Good luck, and post some pics of your snorkeling adventures!
Sharp M.
sharp_images
Royal Oak, MI
Post #: 11
Hi Keira,
Take a look at this Panasonic, with a Leica lens. It has received good reviews.
Right now it's being offered for $100 directly from Panasonice (same price at B&H).
It's waterproof to a depth of 5 meters (16.4 ft).

http://shop.panasonic...­
Sharp M.
sharp_images
Royal Oak, MI
Post #: 14
Also, Canon has just announced a new PAS waterproof to 25 meters (82 ft).
Availability: April 2014, MSRP $330, but of course street price will be a lot lower.

http://www.dpreview.c...­