Madison Area Gamehole Role Playing Society Message Board › Looking for a group to play "Shadows of Esteren"

Looking for a group to play "Shadows of Esteren"

Alan L.
user 156059082
Middleton, WI
Post #: 1
Hello All!

My name is Alan Lee and I'm a completely new resident to Madison Wisconsin and I'll be staying here for the next five years or so. As such I'm looking to join a new group centered on playing the game "Shadows of Esteren" (SoE for short). SoE is a Gothic horror game that has many elements in common with Call of Cthulu, namely that you play as a normal citizen of the world and have to deal with terrifying monsters. But, the game system and rules are solely based off the d10. The emphasis in this game is on story, and that's emphasis with a capitol "E." A major part of making a character in this game is making the backstory, and the system greatly stresses that. But, making a deep character isn't stressful despite the large quantity of lore because that lore is presented in a fascinating, unique way... in the form of old documents. Indeed, just reading the core rule books is a pleasure let alone playing them. But I digress.

On a technical aspect, I want to play but I can not GM. I'm a chemistry graduate student so I will have absolutely no time to think about the game during the week and no time to do adequate preparatory work.

So, if anyone would be interested in starting this type of game I'd be more than happy to supply them with more information. If enough people actually "sign on" to play the game I'll send them my PDFs of the first three books that I purchased: "The Prologue," "Book One: Universe," and "Book Two: Travels." To the person that steps up as the GM, I will personally buy the hard copy books to loan them (for free of course), including the "Book 3: Campaign", and "Book 4: Secrets."

Thank you all and I hope to be seeing some of you in the future!

Sincerely,

Alan Lee (a.k.a. Boo as his friends in the South are want to call him)