Mike Franco for State Senate 2014! Message Board › Reject Those Voices..

Reject Those Voices..

Mike F.
user 8110721
Chicopee, MA
Post #: 290
Reject those voices from certain committees and political insiders that mandate how you vote and who you support. Set yourselves free.. Mike Franco

Candidates offer choices in state Senate race
By G. Michael Dobbs, October 3, 2012
The Reminder Publications

Excerpt Below:

Franco is a Holyoke resident and is employed by the city as a veterans’ services officer. He is a vet himself, having reached the rank of major in the Air Force.

His run for senate is not his first effort for public office. He has run for state representative and governor’s councilor in the past. He said he has a deep interest in public policy matters and enjoys advocating on behalf of issues.

He said the differences between him and Humason are both personal and professional.

"I’m a risk-taker. I’ve done a lot of different things," Franco said. He has served in the military and worked in the private sector, he noted. He has returned to school to better himself and prepare for the changing workplace.

He said that Humason represents the Republican establishment in the state while he (Franco) is a "grassroots" candidate. He has distanced himself from seeking endorsements.

He described himself as a "conservative Libertarian Republican" who believes that government is too big, too costly and too intrusive. He added he believes there are issues, such as property rights, that appeal to both conservative and progressive voters.

"I’m happy to listen to everyone, but I might not agree," Franco added.

Fiscal responsibility and independence are key parts of his political philosophy. "We have to look at who is going to pay for stuff in the years to come," Franco said. He added that while government funding is "very appealing," it always has strings attached.

If elected he would work to reduce the state budget by 10 percent over a five-year period.

"I might be standing alone on that. I’m not afraid to lose those battles. At least I can talk about them," he said.

He said he has encountered frustration from both Democratic and Republican voters concerning the status quo and believes that people should stop how they have traditionally voted.

Primaries Tuesday for special election to fill former state senator Michael Knapik’s seat

By Rebecca Everett
Daily Hampshire Gazette
Friday, October 4, 2013

Excerpt Below:

On the Republican side, Franco said it is not easy to challenge Humason in the primary because his opponent has been in the Statehouse for six terms. "We’re not the establishment candidate in this race. We’re the grassroots campaign," he said.

A veterans’ claims investigator for Holyoke, Franco said he has been spreading the word that he is the candidate in the primary who more truly represents Republican values. He said that Humason is sometimes too willing to compromise and work with Democrats.

"In the party ranks, I’m known as an activist who is very loyal to my base," he said.

At events or through mailings and phone call(s), Franco said he has been telling voters that he is the candidate who will walk the party line, fight for responsible spending and work to repeal the gas tax.

Franco was in the U.S. Air Force Reserves for 23 years, retiring at the rank of major. He also earned a master’s degree in business administration in 1992 and worked in the private sector as a sales representative in the manufacturing industry and later as a manager of a public affairs office.

"I have a working man’s experience," he said.

- End -