Miltown Game Developers Message Board › Group Project Discussion

Group Project Discussion

Joe B
user 8707291
Group Organizer
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 15
Hi everybody!

I'm starting this thread so that we can, as a group, get some sort of idea of the kind of projects that we'd like to tackle.

Some ground rules:

• You do not talk about Fight Club. Waitaminute, let me try that again.... *ahem*
  • No idea is out of bounds for this forum.
  • Not every idea is going to be built or implemented, but it will at least be discussed on it's own merits.
  • If you don't have anything positive to contribute to the discussion, at least have the decency to not crap all over it.

I suppose I'll open with a few small-ish ideas:

• An "On-Rails" shooter in the vein of Gradius or R-Type, involving an advanced Biplane (Like the Red Baron). There's already a small prototype for this that I'll bring to the next meetup.
  • The Chicken Game (Most of you have already seen and contributed ideas to this one).
  • A Zelda-style, top-down adventure game that involves saving a small college town from a zombie outbreak (I have designs I can bring in). Involves a fair amount of dialog.

Paul D.
user 92628082
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
I think a rails shooter would be fun. I'd probably prefer more on-the-ground action, though... more potential for going in and out of environments, and for stuff to get in the way (and be hit by fire). I really like the Time Crisis arcade series... maybe mechs or robots or something?
http://youtu.be/U7XnV...­
Joe B
user 8707291
Group Organizer
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 16
Time Crisis rocks. I used to play the first one all the time as a kid.
It just occurred to me that I might want to start another spreadsheet that attempts to classify the different ideas, so that we can better keep track of what's being discussed. Maybe the best way would be to add another sheet onto the skills sheet that we started last night.
Joe B
user 8707291
Group Organizer
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 17
I realize I'm responding to my own reply, but I've added another sheet to the skills spreadsheet. I started with five basic columns:

• Project Name - One shorthand way to refer to the idea.
  • Working Title - Whatever the idea is being called, for reference.
  • Brief Description - Just a quick overview of what the idea is about.
  • Game Format - What kind of game would it be? A puzzle game? Fighter? RPG?
  • Visual Format - 3D, 2.5D (3D with a fixed perspective), 2D?

I'm sure this can be added on to. If anyone has any ideas for further classifying game ideas, go ahead and add them!
Chris
user 29285542
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 6
Last meetup I showed the Ludum Dare game I made called Hold. If anyone is interested in working on it that would be cool. There is room for most all skills Puzzle designs, code, art and sound.
You can play the game and download the source here: http://www.ludumdare....­
The game is in Unity 4 and the code is C#. The cubes in the game are from Blender and there currently is no sound. My next idea was to build the game into 3d. Same game mechanic but with more dimensions. I'm interested in using morphable meshes and path constrained movements. Also I need to add more obstacles. I'm thinking spikes and perhaps fire particle systems. That is all.
Dan S.
hpdvs2
Oconomowoc, WI
Post #: 19
My target, after the RTS, has been to do a 3D Racing Game. Not Web (want more performance)

Mixing Track Racing, Street Racing, and Military battles, as you "borrow" techs to enhance vehicles in the other two areas.
Dan S.
hpdvs2
Oconomowoc, WI
Post #: 24
I was thinking

1) The game should be small. Perhaps we can try bigger later, but small to start.
2) It should be easily modular, so that we can build pieces without stepping on each other's toes.
3) I think it should be a training and learning game. Not the concept itself, but we should make everything exposed about how we built the game. Publish all the material, source code, management notes, how we interacted, what we designed, how that changed, etc... This could be a great demo to provide and show off as the Milwaukee Unity3D Game Development group.
4) I think it should cover a lot of important areas in games.
- AI -> State Machines, Learning, Simple.
- Physics -> Impulse, Force, Momentum, instead of X+3, etc...
- 3D Models -> home grown, notes on how we did it.
- Lighting
- Testing -> try it, demo it, change what doesn't work, enhance what does.
- Design -> Agile or Waterfall approach? (I *strongly* prefer agile)
- Story -> concept, how its tied to the game, etc...
- Textures -> Concepts, Tools, etc...
- Team -> Play to strengths.

As this is the Unity3D Dev group, it would seem that this should be Unity.
The game should be designer friendly. (I.e. make it visually editable, not procedurally)
We should probably just add one extra meeting a month just for this and let those who show up decide and build it.
- There should also be code reviews. I.e. make sure we are all happy with the approach.