Our next topic of The Use of Copyrighted Material in writing came up during our critiques. As a librarian and researcher, Lindsey has experience in the problems that can arise in using a line from a song or poem. She will be leading the discussion and explain why it's not a good idea to have Frodo or Harry Potter make a guest appearance in your novel.
The guidelines for submissions for critique are:
• We will accept three items to be listed in Files under MORE! on the Homepage. You must be logged in to access Files.
• Items should be under 10,000 words and submitted in Word or RTF, not .docx.
• Preface your submission with [ESP Crit 2-11] so we know it's for our group. The deadline for submissions is February 4th.
• Please add page numbers so those doing critiques on a separate sheet of paper have a reference point.
• If submitting a continuation of previous work, remember to do a synopsis.
Guidelines for critiquing:
• Locate submissions prefaced [ESP Crit 2-11] in Files under MORE!
• Print out a copy to make your edits and remarks on--it's OK to change the format for your printout.
• OR, make your comments on a separate sheet of paper to give to the author.
See you next month.