Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 291
MinnSpec Meetup Podcast Index

The podcast is dead, long live the streaming broadcast!
We are no longer podcasting new meetups and readings, but many of them will be streamed live on G+ and are watchable on YouTube--you can find them in Conrad Zero's YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.c...­

Podcast archive
This is the index page for the (short-lived) podcast feed of the (main Minneapolis branch) MinnSpec meetups. When possible, we record and share our informative meetups so that those who can't attend can still benefit.

Most Recent Podcast(s)

Episode 18: Legal Issues for Authors
Whether you are self-publishing or seeking traditional representation, all authors need to be aware of copyright laws, contracts and legal issues surrounding your intellectual property.

Minnesota Lawyer Daniel E Boen runs his own legal practice specializing in Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Law. He is also a self-published author, and a musician, so he understands both the artist's side and the business side of legal issues that all authors should be aware of.

Episode 17: Query Letters
A roundtable discussion of query letters, featuring agent Jennie Goloboy from Red Sofa Lit and authors Michael Merriam, Kelly Barnhill, and William Alexander (winner of the 2012 National Book Award).

Earlier Podcasts

Episode 16: Genograms
Relationship counselor and de-stuckification therapist Rebecca Chesin explains what genograms are, how you can create a genogram for your characters, and how analyzing their family-of-origin can add depth to your characters. (Episode notes: Rebecca can be found at http://www.timeforcla...­.)

Episode 15: Writing Horror
A roundtable discussion on writing horror fiction: what works, what doesn't, what used to work, and what will work in the future?

Episode 14: Breaking Into Picture Books with Barbara daCosta
Barbara daCosta, author of Nighttime Ninja, discusses how her picture book got published and explains all the ins and outs of the process. (Episode notes: Barbara can be found at http://barbaradacosta.blogspot.com/­

Episode 13: Traditional Publishing vs. Self-Publishing Death Match!
Self-publishing vs. traditional publishing--FIGHT! Two publishing methods enter, two publishing methods leave!

Episode 12: Social Media
Social Media--what is it good for?

Episode 11: Kelly Barnhill
Kelly Barnhill, author of Iron Hearted Violet, discusses the publication process and the working life of a professional writer.

Episode 10: Everything Ebook
Like it says on the tin. How to read 'em, how to format 'em, where to sell 'em, and when to make 'em.

Episode 9: Love Stinks - Writing Dysfunctional Relationships
We have real live therapists discussing relationships, how dysfunctional relationships function, and what behavior patterns can really mess up your characters' love lives.

Episode 8: The Happy Coroner
This episode is "Killing Off Your Characters: Q & A with the Happy Coroner." Struggling to kill off your characters in interesting ways?  Want to get the bloody details right?  Never fear!  We bring in the wonderful and charming Dr. Lindsey Thomas, a Minnesota Regional Coroner in a department that serves 8 different counties in the metro area.

Episode 7: It Came From the Slushpile!
This episode is "It Came From the Slush Pile."  Three real slush pile readers & editors dissect submitted stories and explain what worked, what didn't, and why they stopped reading when they did. Learn the secrets of the slush pile!

Episode 6, Part I: Rejections
Episode 6, Part II: Rejections
Michael Merriam heads a panel of MinnSpec writers who discuss how to handle those ego-deflating rejection letters.

Episode 5, Part I: Creating Characters
Episode 5, Part II: Creating Characters
Jaye Lawrence and Terry Faust discuss techniques for creating and revealing characters.

Episode 4, Part I: Organization for Writers
Episode 4, Part II: Organization for Writers
Conrad Zero gives a presentation about how to organize your writing life: your documents, your manuscript submissions, your research and story ideas, and your plots.

Episode 3, Part I: The Presentations Presentation
Episode 3, Part II: The Presentations Presentation
How can writers prepare for and give good presentations? We discuss lectures, panels, and workshops, and we talk about what to do--and what not to do--when using PowerPoint to assist a presentation.

Episode 2, Part I: Not Getting the Future Too Wrong
Episode 2, Part II: Not Getting the Future Too Wrong
How can science fiction writers get the future wrong? How can you avoid doing so? What can make writing seem dated before it even comes out?

Episode 1, Part I: Conventions
Episode 1, Part II: Conventions
We discuss regional Minnesota conventions, what we'd like to see at conventions, how to choose what conventions to go to, how to get on panels, how introverts can integrate at conventions, and survival tips for everyone!
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 294
New episode!

Episode 9: Love Stinks - Writing Dysfunctional Relationships
We have real live therapists discussing relationships, how dysfunctional relationships function, and what behavior patterns can really mess up your characters' love lives.
Gaea
user 7798574
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9
As one of the people who can't make it to meetings, this is a very cool idea. I'm hope I have enough internet to get them downloaded before I go back to the island.
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 335
Lots of new updates! (Yes, we're catching up on the backlog, thanks to Conrad Z. weighing in and doing more than his share!)

Episode 13: Traditional Publishing vs. Self-Publishing Death Match!
Self-publishing vs. traditional publishing--FIGHT! Two publishing methods enter, two publishing methods leave!

Episode 12: Social Media
Social Media--what is it good for?

Episode 11: Kelly Barnhill
Kelly Barnhill, author of Iron Hearted Violet, discusses the publication process and the working life of a professional writer.

Episode 10: Everything Ebook
Like it says on the tin. How to read 'em, how to format 'em, where to sell 'em, and when to make 'em.

John E.
user 12708601
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 14
Are these available on Itunes? Or just streaming?
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 338
Not currently available on iTunes, just click to download.
Deb E.
dre3327
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 10
Looking for the podcast on query letters. Is it available yet?
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 342
No, it usually takes us maybe a month after a meetup to get the podcast up.
Conrad Z.
conradzero
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 217
Glad you are enjoying the podcasts!

I've created an RSS feed of all the MNSpec podcasts on my blog at conradzero.com, so anyone who wants to subscribe can use this feed address: (I recommend Google Reader.)

http://www.conradzero...­

You can also check the "track this discussion" box on this forum topic, all podcasts will be listed here as well.

-Zero
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 343
Episode 14: Breaking Into Picture Books with Barbara daCosta
Barbara daCosta, author of Nighttime Ninja, discusses how her picture book got published and explains all the ins and outs of the process. (Episode notes: Barbara can be found at http://barbaradacosta.blogspot.com/­)