MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

A former member
Post #: 3
Armand --

You are totally welcome. It's to see a publisher joining this group. Is there anything special that you want me to say about you on our about page?

If you could let everyone know where my home page is (www.CarnifexPress.net) and also that I am currently open for novella submissions, which are posted on the website.

Armand Rosamilia
A former member
Post #: 18
Hi -- my name is Bob Eggleton, but I had to change my name to Robert after I wrote my first novel, because Bob is a famous SF artist. Man, I might have really screwed up. Some of you know that Rarity from the Hollow has received great reviews, and that author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse. Well, anyway, I went to this newgroup to tell them about my novel winning a competition for one of the best published in 2006. The people there started an argument about whether I had the right to tell them about my novel -- they called my post spam. The argument lasted a long time.

Then, apparently emotions got worked up -- not mine as I was having fun and thought it was all philosophical -- but members who have never read by novel posted insults about me and it on the Mobipocket site where it's sold as if they were posting reviews of something that they'd read, but had not.

I got so down about the whoe situation that I decided to quit the project, Next, a little girl in one of the group therapy sessions I facilitate told her peers that she was strong enough to testify about the awful things that her daddy had done to her. She's less than four feet tall and skinny.

It made me feel so guilty about deciding to quit my project that I'm going to find some type of solution. I don't think that arguing with people about what is or is not "spam" is a good idea, at least not from my self-promotional angle. I think that it's best as a debate strictly among consumers and I've got something that I can't help but promote and I seem to always come off too strong.

I've already given the people who called me a liar the info to contact the agency to which author proceeds are donated for verification. I even gave them info on how to verify my own employment at my mental health center. It didn't help.

I gave them my email address hoping that they could verify that I had not posted reviews of my own novel in order to up the rating (an accusation). They responded that some of the reviews were from the same multi-state ISP even if not from the same address and posted a lie on the Mobipocket site.

I gave them the address for the five-year-old contest that named my novel as one of the best published in 2006. They said that it was not a contest, was inconsequential, but didn't put down any of the other books in various genres that were listed.

I'll figure out something. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Robert Eggleton
robert_t@charter.net
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7,546
Bob --

This is a challenging issue, and like all challenging issues, it has multiple sides.

Man, I might have really screwed up. Some of you know that Rarity from the Hollow has received great reviews, and that author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse. Well, anyway, I went to this newgroup to tell them about my novel winning a competition for one of the best published in 2006. The people there started an argument about whether I had the right to tell them about my novel -- they called my post spam. The argument lasted a long time.

I can see the passion that you have about your work. To you, your novel is not just art but also a moral call to action. That's one of the reasons that you are so excited about it.

But I can also see the side of the people in the group who called your posts spam. In your most recent post, you stated, "Rarity from the Hollow has received great reviews, and that author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse." This is something that you have posted before on here. In this case, I know that you are just providing the context for your current dilemma, but because you have posted long posts about your novel twice­ before in this discussion, the mention of it again seemed a bit much.

Also... I read the world wide SF Writers board. You­ posted­ there­ fourteen­ times­, and­ thirteen­ were­ promotional­ posts­ about­ your­ book­. I am telling you this not to make you feel bad, but so that you can see where other people are coming from.

Then, apparently emotions got worked up -- not mine as I was having fun and thought it was all philosophical -- but members who have never read by novel posted insults about me and it on the Mobipocket site where it's sold as if they were posting reviews of something that they'd read, but had not.

On the other hand, this seems like an unfair bit of retribution. I am sorry that they retaliated in this manner. Telling you politely that they don't like promotional posting is one matter. Posting bad reviews of a book you have not read is another entirely.

It made me feel so guilty about deciding to quit my project that I'm going to find some type of solution.

Don't quit your project. But I do think that you have to change promotional tactics.

I don't think that arguing with people about what is or is not "spam" is a good idea, at least not from my self-promotional angle.

Agreed. Arguing the point will only exacerbate the strong emotions that others are feeling about your promotion. Besides, the definition of spam can be wide-ranging. In this wikipedia article on spam, there appears the following statement:

Newsgroup spam predates e-mail spam, and targets Usenet newsgroups and it consists of repetitious posting of a message (or substantially similar messages).

This means that by some definitions, you are spamming if you post a substantially similar message multiple times within a forum.

I think that it's best as a debate strictly among consumers and I've got something that I can't help but promote and I seem to always come off too strong.

Yes, stay out of the debate. In fact, I advise that you stop talking about your book in forums and newsgroups for a while. This does not mean that you must stop promoting. It does mean that you should promote in other ways. I really recommend that you look at low cost methods of self promotion outside of the internet. Look at this discussion, and ask some of the members of this group for other ideas on how to do promote cheaply. Send press releases to the small newspapers and radio stations. Make yourself available for interviews. Create a buzz.

Note, I am not advising you to stay out of forums and newsgroups entirely. (I do think that you should stay out of the ones where the members have told you you are no longer welcome, though.)

What should you do if you cannot talk about your book? Join in the conversation, and talk with other people about their work. You can also have a small signature in your e-mails or posts that says something like this:

Author of Rarity in the Hollow
100% of the proceeds of this book devoted to fighting child abuse.

So long as you are helpful to others and are genuinely interested in what others have to say, most people do not mind a short two-line signature.

I've already given the people who called me a liar the info [snip] It didn't help.

Nope. You've got them angry, and now they won't listen.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Here are my suggestions in bullet point format:

• Stay out of any forum where you have been asked to stop posting;
  • Refrain from posting about your book on the internet anywhere save your own blog or website;
  • Find non-internet ways to market and promote your work;
  • And finally... If someone tells you that you are spamming them, don't argue the point. Instead, apologize immediately and thank them for telling you the appropriate netiquette. Than, stop what you are doing.

I hope that this helps.

Hmm
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 307
Bob, I think you'll find that people are much likelier to consider you a spammer if the only subject you post about is yourself and your book. I know that you're passionate about it, and that's to your credit. But an online community is about conversation and getting to know one another, not just promoting one's self.

On this board, for example, have you interacted with our members on any other subject? Have you swapped writing tips? Congratulated other writers who've had publications? Shown interest in what this group does?

Show a good-faith effort to be a real contributing member of a board and I think you'll find people more receptive to hearing about your work.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello, everybody. My name is my passport, verify me. Or something to that effect.

I'm Jeremy, 31, living in Minneapolis. I've been writing all my life, but finally buckled down this past November and managed to finish a novel for NaNoWriMo. I'm working on editing it now and hoping to enter it in the Gather.com First Chapters contest (probably I've got no chance, but I think it's a good story).

The Ride, my novel, is a thriller about a hitchhiker who is picked up by a psychopath who has a hostage in the back seat, and how the young man must save his own life and that of the girl the killer has kidnapped. Not speculative fiction, I'm afraid (though at various points in the writing of the story the girl has been envisioned as a ghost or zombie... she just didn't end up that way), but most of my other stories involve more supernatural horror of some sort.

I'm looking forward to meeting people and sharing my work.

-Jeremy
A former member
Post #: 16
Heya Jeremy! Thumbs up on your story (yeah yeah, a bad pun but I couldn't resist)! I look forward to giving The Ride a read and seeing you at the next meeting.

-John
Cjad E.
Cjad
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 61
Welcome to our corner of the world, Jeremy!
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7,580
We are such a friendly bunch around here.

Welcome, Jeremy!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks, all of you! I look forward to meeting you as well!
A former member
Post #: 32
Good to have you, Jeremy.

It's great to see the group growing.

Mike