addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Matthew Lee D.
user 5785405
Amery, WI
Post #: 1
Hello!
I'm Matthew Lee Davis, a 32 yr. old speculative fiction writer from Wisconsin (don't worry, I'm originally from MN), as well as a multi-genre stew-master. In other words, I like to write and write and write, and whatever genre people feel fits my writing, I casually nod and smile, and laugh (or cry) about it later.

My first novel (yet unpublished) was a psychological horror/fantasy (or something close to that) titled, The Shadow Serpentine, but since that novel finished being professionally edited I have smothered myself in '70's style psychedelic science fiction satire in the vein of Robert Anton Wilson, Phillip Jose Farmer, Douglas Adams (of course), Ken Kesey (although he's not sci-fi, he's amazing), and more recent fiction artists such as Chuck Palahniuk, Mark Z. Danielewski, and George Mangels.

My newest work-in-progress is titled, Secrets of the Severed Hand, and is a psychedelic, apocalypse-driven joyride through a future riddled with sex, drugs, murder, mayhem, quantum physics, and last but not least, a whole lotta rock 'n roll. I'm about 2/3's finished, and stay up way past what my wife would say is my bedtime in order to find time to write.

I joined this group - mostly at the demands of my editor - in order to gain that interactive life experience, meet other like-minded individuals, and learn, learn, learn about the industry, hints on publishing or self-publishing, and in hopes of finding open ears other than my wife's (no offense to her, she is incredibly enthusiastic about my writing, but...well...you see...she reads Mary Higgins Clark, okay?).

I hope to join in the readings, hear critiques, and give critiques as well.

Stop by my profile and give me a shout out, I could use the company.

-Matthew Lee Davis
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,480
Welcome, Carmine and Matthew! Nice to see you both introduce yourselves! I hope to see you guys at an upcoming Meetup.

Hmm
Jess H.
user 5987095
Hinesville, GA
Post #: 3
Hello,
Jess Harris here. I attended the East St Paul meetup earlier this month (hi Matt) and will be attending the Minneapolis meetup and writer's workshop on the 20th as well.

I'm primarily writing science fiction for now. It's not exactly hard sci-fi, nor entirely soft...maybe a little squishy, like Jello. I'm also working on a classic horror story and an urban fantasy.

My degree is a double major in Music and Theater, so I'm Active Duty Army (what else do you do with a non-teaching music and theater degree?).

I've been writing fiction for just under a year, and consider this to be my year of learning. I consider all the stories I've put to paper (or electrons, as it may be) exercises as I work toward the goal of becoming a professional writer. My goal for this year was to find my "voice," and learn the mechanics of the fiction process. I have not yet submitted anything for publication, except for one story that I sent to "Writers of the Future." So I guess not winning on that attempt constitutes my first rejection slip. I submitted another story to WOTF that won't be judged for another three months. I'm not sitting on my hands in breathless anticipation. I have several stories that I'm currently working on, including one novel based on the story that was rejected by WOTF. I will start submitting stories to publishers this year, and expect to have my novel finished in 08 as well.

I look forward to working with this group!

-Jess
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,629
Welcome, Jess!

Hmm
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 516
Welcome, Jess! You're in good company--quite a few of us have submitted to WotF without a win, including Hilary, Michael Merriam, and myself. It's a great market to keep trying, though.

I look forward to meeting you.
Paul A.
Paul.Azeti
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
Hi.

I just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I am Paul and live in Eagan. I am new to writing, though I have spent a lot of time writing this last year. I began writing for pure pleasure, and as an outlet. It gave me something to do and share with my children. I began wanting to write a story for my kids. My plan was to write the story and read it to them as I went. One year later, we had a lot of fun and I completed a draft for two books in a series I hope to call 'The Alurian Conspiracy'. After a year of writing and doing some research on my own I thought it was time to branch out and find other people who enjoy this passion I discovered. I also thought working on my draft novel for publication would be a fun project. So far the genre has been fantasy, but I can see myself writing in other genres. I have much to learn and hope to find fun people to learn from (and share if there is anything I might be able to contribute).

I have never had an editor. In fact, to my knowledge, I have never seen a living breathing editor. Having someone edit my work sounds like an interesting experience I look forward to, thought I have read it is sometimes a painful process. Perhaps some day I will find out.

I joined this group hoping to meet real people that liked to do what I enjoy as much as I do. I am looking forward to connecting with like-minded individuals and make some friendships. I would not mind some good tips, critique, feedback, and the like either.

I look forward to meeting some of you.

Paul
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,648
Welcome, Paul! It will be lovely to have you join us. BTW, if you want to meet a real live editor, come to one of the Speculations Readings at Dreamhaven Books. Eric Heideman, the coordinator of those readings, is the editor of local magazine Tales of the Unanticipated. He's a friendly guy.

Or you could attend the panel that they are having on this at Minicon.

Hmm
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 528
Welcome, Paul! I'm in Eagan too, so maybe we can carpool to Meetup sometime.
Paul A.
Paul.Azeti
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
Welcome, Paul! I'm in Eagan too, so maybe we can carpool to Meetup sometime.

Anytime. I am going to the February 12th meeting. If you are coming and you would like me to pick you up just let me know.
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 529
Anytime. I am going to the February 12th meeting. If you are coming and you would like me to pick you up just let me know.

I usually attend the monthly meetup event & writers' workshop in Minneapolis, rather than the East St. Paul group. No offense to my St. Paul friends! If my schedule allowed I'd be there too. But since I lead the Minneapolis writers' workshop group, that's where you'll see me most.

Have you heard about the Southside Writers group that meets Saturdays at the Eagan library? I dropped in a couple of times to check it out. They're not on Meetup; I think they rely on word of mouth and library posters to bring people in.