addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Jeremy Z.
Jeremy_Zoss
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hi folks. I was introduced to this group by Scott McCoy, and a big thanks to him for that. I'm Jeremy Zoss, and I've been writing for my whole life. I sold my first piece of pro-rate fiction back in 2001, and in the last year I've sold a couple additional flash fiction pieces to be published later, including one to Scott's Necrotic Tissue webzine.

I spent about 3.5 years as a full-time writer for Game Informer magazine, located here in Minneapolis. I still work in the video games industry. I write primarily horror and dark speculative fiction, and my main issue is I tend to write a ton of stories, then set them aside when I'm bored with them. I'm looking forward to meeting fellow members, but I won't be able to make it to any events until next month at the earliest.

- Jeremy
A former member
Post #: 13
Welcome, I'm glad you decided to join. I'm going to my first in persone meeting/crit session this weekend. I've done crit online so long I don't know what to expect from being in the same room as real people :)
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 623
Welcome, Jeremy! I hope to meet you at an upcoming event soon.
A former member
Hello there. I was just accepted and started browsing, stumbled upon this thread and thought I should lay down my introduction. I'm eighteen years old, just graduated with honors from the Perpich Center for Arts Education in Golden Valley, MN from the Literary Arts department. At the mo I write fantasy novellas, attempting to learn how to make them a tad longer. I almost successfully completed NaNoWriMo in 2006--I was only about 3000 words short, so yeah. My writing tends to sport the theme of learning how to be comfortable with yourself and learning to do what is right no matter what anyone else says. At the moment I am struggling with forming a sect of magic for a possible story for a character I created a couple weeks ago...yeah.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,684
Welcome, Amanda!

I think that only 3000 words short of completing Nanowrimo is completing Nanowrimo. You got a lot of words out in a very short time. I feel your pain about trying to expand out novellas to novel length. I'm doing that with one of my stories as well. My suggestion: add a bunch more characters and a couple subplots. Find the holes where you wanted to do something more with the characters that you did not get a chance to pursue last time.

And good luck!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 5
Hey, thanks a bunch!

(PS: I wanted to go to the Speculative Fiction and Sexuality panel so bad, but there was an illegal viewing of the last episode of the fourth season of Doctor Who.)
Todd W.
T.A.Wardrope
Minneapolis, MN
Hello all --

I showed my face at the CONvergence meeting on Friday. As far as background, I've got a SF/Dark fantasy novel which is nearing completion and should be done next year. I've got a couple of short horror stories that have found their way to paid publication, and some reviews on various websites.

Who do I like and admire? T Ligotti, PK Dick, JG Ballard, HP Lovecraft, Hank Ketchum, B Keene, TC Boyle, Haruki Murikami, J Borges, Joyce Carol Oates, S. Delany, early William Gibson, and others. I had the pleasure of working with Douglas Clegg, F Paul Wilson, Thomas Monteleone and others at the Borderlands Boot Camp a few years ago.

Other than that, I work as a video producer during the day, I have two snakes, a lizard and a cat. I live in south Minneapolis with my wife Melissa.
A former member
Post #: 21
Welcome!!
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,695
Welcome, Todd!

Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself...

Hmm
Brad S.
user 7644726
Saint Paul, MN
I think this might be what is called a "re-introduction". My name is Brad Svenson and once upon a time I was a member of this esteemed group only to find myself victim of a "MAssive Technological IMpairment Period" or "MATIMP".

The short story: Best Buy decided to wipe my laptop's hard-drive clean BEFORE backing it up. I lost quite a bit of story info but not any of the WIPs. Financials I can live without... Anyways, I found that I couldn't find you guys again and when I finally did I couldn't login into my acct.

So with a fresh new User Acct I'm back and ready to... I don't know, be a part of the group again.

Happy I'm back,

Brad Svenson