MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, all. Unfortunately, I'm not really local, but writers are writers and what has text... why, the internet! What convenient coincidence!

Anyway, all jokes aside. I'm a writer from the west coast that predominantly writes S.F. (and talks about himself in the third person.) Though Aaron isn't local to this meetup group, he hopes that he may lend aide or an extra voice where one is asked for.

Though I write mostly in the Science Fiction genre, I've delved a bit into fantasy and am a big fan of ancient mythologies (Greek being an old favorite) so I haven't stopped myself from throwing in what I like. I don't have any published works as I'm pretty deeply buried in the ammeter pit, but I've frequented some workshop forums and take my work seriously.

Other than that, I'm mostly in it to write, so I have some of my works up, mostly short stories but I have an ongoing novel-length project getting plastered up on a weblog. Unfortunately, all my other works are currently up on a workshop forum. But, have no fear! The antibot password is here! (just enter "vista" in the password dialog you get when you follow these links.) I'll make a proper portfolio someday soon.

The Protagonus Coup
Hulldive
Operation: Suicidal Egress

I'm sorry if the dumps are uncalled for, I'm not really sure on the etiquette you guys call for. But anyway, nice to see an active board, I see a few topics I'd like to look at and maybe make some constructive commentary on.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,776
Welcome Aaron!

I'm looking forward to meeting you on the board.

Hmm
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Hello! I'm another new member brought in from CONvergence, and I'm looking forward to critiquing others' stories and getting feedback on my own.

I'm a writer of the "a few published short stories, a few unpublished novels" variety. So far I've had the most success getting stories published in horror markets, though I think of myself as more of a SF/F writer. It confuses me.

I accidentally started writing another novel recently, a science fiction story about seeing choices, light in dark places, blasphemy, faith, and doing awful things to save something good. Also FTL, generation ships, aliens, dying suns, blackmail, murder, the tree of life, and labyrinths.

I'm working on the second or third draft (depending on how you count it) of Vicesteed, a steampunk science fiction novel that is equal proportions locked-room murder mystery, exploration of how society forms identity, and high-octane quest for vengeance. Who can resist a science fiction story with sex, violence, romance, spaceships, androids, Victorian England, exploding clockwork sculptures, robots, and a locked-room murder?

Somewhere in there I write some short stories.

My website is http://www.aswiebe.com­ and I blog at http://cloudscudding.livejournal.com­.
Cjad E.
Cjad
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 141
Welcome Aaron and Abra.

Aaron, we have a Shameless Self Promotion thread. Putting your self promotions there will keep you from ruffling any feathers. We are an easy going group so occasional slips do happen. ;)
We also have an Acceptance Log and Rejection Log to share our share our sales and celebrate our rejections.
Hope this helps,
-Cjad
Alex K.
Alex44k
Minneapolis, MN
Hello everyone,

I write fantasy - urban, dark, and paranormal. I also do high fantasy.

I've written for about 5 years now, really figured out I wanted to write AFTER college, of course. Took some community college courses that were really helpful and got me started.

Nothing novel length published, but I did get a piece accepted in the literary magazine at my graduate school, an excerpt from an early draft of a novel I've worked on for a few years now, finally have the story down and working on the last rewrite before I do full editing etc.

Also partipated in National Novel Writing Month last year, and completed the challenge. I'll be doing it again this year, and writing a vampire novel (which I've started already).

Looking to meet other writers in the area for critique and also to learn how to market my books. I've got some idea through a few courses and personal research how to do so, but need to do more before making my major push to get published in the next 2-4 years. :)
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,821
Alex --

Welcome to the group!

Hmm
T K L.
tklarson
Burnsville, MN
Hello all:

I am a full-time paralegal and part-time author who would dearly love to have those labels changed around.

I write fantasy and (very light) sci fi. I have not had anything published recently although I am working on three novels at the moment.

I did have some short stories published in a community college anthology but nothing paid. I'd like to change that as well.

I am looking forward to getting back into the discussions and (once football season is over) attending the critique sessions.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,822
Welcome back, Tiffany! It's good to have you back with us again.

Hmm
A former member
Hi!

My name is Andrew Hope - I'm Scottish, but have lived in the Twin Cities for a number of years. I like to write, and have been more productive these last two years, than the previous five combined. I'm interested in hearing from people in the area who write as a hobby, but who are hoping to take it to the next level. Last two great books I read were The Terror by Dan Simmons and Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.

Generally I'm turned off by SF, but admittedly I haven't read much "hard" SF. My favourite writers are HP Lovecraft, and Ramsey Campbell. I prefer character driven fiction, and don't have much time for expansive, multi-character works.

So far as media goes, I like Britpop over all else (Keane, some Coldplay, Smiths, Morrissey, New Order) musical, consider Mulholland Drive and Trainspotting my two favourite movies. Hmmm, what else? Not much, I suppose!

Nice to meet everybody.
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 707
Welcome, Andrew! Hope we'll see you at an upcoming event. Our regular monthly Meetup is coming up on 10/19, and that'd be a great time to jump in.

You should definitely meet Jason Wittman--he's a Lovecraft fan and has written some stories that pay homage to Lovecraft.