MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Sylvan
centaur03
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
Well, I guess what I write is contemporary fantasy but with some horror, Science Fiction, and high fantasy thrown in for good measure. My only publication has been a role-playing game module for "Chill" back in the 1990's.

What stymies me are the tri-demons: not wanting to kill my babies, not having enough enthusiasm to finish what I begin (although NaNoWriMo is helping me with that), and fear of rejection.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,877
Welcome, David!

You are not alone in having those particular demons, I assure you.

Can I share with you my method of expurgating darling prose? I have an "outtakes" file that I throw all my outtakes into. I figure that when I publish my novel, I can have a deleted scenes feature on my website, just like all my favorite DVDs do for their stories...

It makes the cutting far less painful for me.

Hmm
Sylvan
centaur03
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
I have an "outtakes" file that I throw all my outtakes into. I figure that when I publish my novel, I can have a deleted scenes feature on my website, just like all my favorite DVDs do for their stories...

It makes the cutting far less painful for me.

That's very interesting ... so you just save the pre-cut text for later review and perhaps use while -at the same time- cutting down your existing "verbosity" as it were?

Yours,
Dave
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9,880
Dave --

I used to cut about three quarters of what I wrote before anyone else got to see it. Now that I am a more experienced writer, verbal clutter is not as much as a problem for me. If I have to cut the occasional redundant phrase, I don't sweat it.

What I chop are entire scenes. Sometimes you think a character should do something, and you write that scene, and then realize that the story would be better without it. Maybe too much got explained, or not enough really happened. Or perhaps it took the characters in a direction that it was wrong for them to go. If a scene is not doing enough, I am merciless in cutting it out.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 1,870
What I chop are entire scenes. Sometimes you think a character should do something, and you write that scene, and then realize that the story would be better without it. Maybe too much got explained, or not enough really happened. Or perhaps it took the characters in a direction that it was wrong for them to go. If a scene is not doing enough, I am merciless in cutting it out.

I'm doing the same thing with my sci fi thriller revision. "Kill your lovelies" the phrase goes. I usually wait about a month between finishing the first draft and beginning the revision process. On the other hand, I save my old drafts just in case there is a gem in the trash. A passage, scene, or character that is cut could always be recycled elsewhere.

Since my first draft was rather thin on characterization, I've focused on that in the revision process. I built up characters, which help buttress the developing plot elements. So I've cut entire chapters without batting an eye lash. I've also expanded on virtually everything in terms of world-building. I try to make my character inhabit the world they live in. That's achieving the balance of exotic and mundane. (It's very tricky and takes practice to perfect it, especially if you are world-building whole cloth.)

Everything you do (write, revise, etc.) should be with a single goal in mind: "For the story." (Not necessarily "for the plot," since there are compelling stories that aren't always told in a forward-moving linear progression.)

Karl
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 741
I know we've added some new members recently--I'm bumping this topic in hopes that they'll pipe up and introduce themselves.

::::Looks around in welcoming fashion:::::
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 826
I know we've added some new members recently--I'm bumping this topic in hopes that they'll pipe up and introduce themselves.

::::Looks around in welcoming fashion:::::
Conrad Z.
conradzero
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 5
I'm Conrad, friends call me Zero. I've been to the last two writer's workshops, and I really enjoy them. What a great resource! I graduated from the U of M last year with a double-major in Philosophy and Computer Science. There's one that I like and there's one that pays the bills. If you want to know which is which, simply count how many listings there are under "Philosophers" in the Yellow Pages.

My "real" job is I.T./Electronic Repair, but I do some website programming and computer repair on the side. (Gotta pay off those student loans!) I also have a home studio where I do audio/video production.

I'm in the local band Jagged Spiral www.jaggedspiral.com­ we play what I like to call "Nearly Metal" some strange hybrid of metal and rock (mock? devilish ) at our best we sound like a poor man's "Tool" and at our worst we sound like "Godsmack" Our music is free to download from the website, so listen and describe it for yourself. Or come see us play sometime (in fact, we're playing at Station 4 tomorrow night.)

As far as writing, when you're a Philosophy Student you write A LOT, but that's all non-fiction. Now, I write horrorish/actionish/dark-urban-fantasy-i­sh stories. I finally get to use words like "eviscerated." smile I prefer horror when it's more psychological and less gross and bloody, and I prefer monster antagonists over human ones. I enjoy Lovecraft, Poe, Stephen King (sometimes), Douglas Adams, Tolkien, Koontz and the occasional Clive Barker. But lately I've given up on best-selling authors and moved my focus to local and/or midlist authors.

For projects, I have a manuscript that is being professionally edited and should be finished this year, it's called The Demonslayer's Handbook. I wrote several short stories leading up to the first book that I'll be giving away online for promotion. One short horror story I submitted for an anthology was moved to the 'short list' and I should know at the end of this month if it's been accepted for publication. Several more short stories in storage, but nothing published as yet. Current projects include "Pinky, The Invisible Flying Pony Who Saves The World" - a kids horror story completely inappropriate for kids, and a horror novel about a monster living in Lake Superior that attacks the coast of Duluth.

I'm also a social networking whore: website , twitter, myspace, facebook, Dark Fiction Guild, and more I've forgotten...

Obviously, this does not leave time for television watching or sleeping. But I don't really feel that I'm missing out.

-Z
R. Scott M.
user 7408434
Forest Lake, MN
Post #: 115
Welcome!
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 829
>>Pinky, The Invisible Flying Pony Who Saves The World<<

Best. Title. EVER.