MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1,830
Welcome, Dan!

Shawn... So you want to know what I am humming... It's my own self-promotional marketing song. Short, but catchy. laughing

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 4
Welcome, Dan!

Shawn... So you want to know what I am humming... It's my own self-promotional marketing song. Short, but catchy. laughing

Hmm

LOL good one. Actually I do find myself humming your tune several times a day.

Do I need written permission to use it in public?
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2,498
Philip Shill posted an introduction­ elsewhere on this board. Because I am an organizational dork, I'm linking to it.

And there have been a bunch of new members lately. Welcome to Erika, J.R. and anyone else that I may have missed!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm Jane R. Hansen and I write speculative fiction and poetry. I haven't done much work in the last few years . . . er, really a decade (confusedHow did that happen?); and am just starting to immerse myself again in "writing think" and collecting story fodder. I'm also going to retrieve old manuscripts to see if I still think they're good enough to re-write or start submitting.

Right now I work at a second job on Tuesdays, but I expect that to change in 2-3 months so I can start attending meetups.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2,502
Jane --

Oh, what a pleasure to see you again! We were in the KAOS writing group so long ago. I am ecstatic to see that you are writing again, and really do hope to see you at a Meetup soon. I have so missed you!

How are Beth and Kent? How are you?

Hmm
Philip S.
Nightbird00
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
I'm just re-posting the link that Hilary thoughtfully put up. I've added some additional information.
Anyway, I'm a night person, and so can't make any of the Meetups until I change my sleeping habits, which could take months.
I visited the message board and read a post from SN Arly, who I remember as taking 2nd place in the 2001 Misfits contest. I also spent time in a group with Ricky Foos, who is another member of this group. I suppose my biggest problem is discipline with writing every night. Also for some reason my imagination just...goes away for a time, and I'm trying to bring it back on command. So far, no luck. AND this has been going on for at least a year. I'm hoping that contact with other writers will help me get back in the flow of things.
I'm pleased that the group seems to have a support aspect as opposed to being published as it's sole goal. I think a good group should be like family; congratulating you when you make a sale, or being there for the times when you haven't written for months, and it seems like you'll never write again, as it has been so long. Support, encouragement, and feedback, those are the important things. And fun ! One must always have fun or what's the point ?
OH...I write SF/Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction. My influences and favorite writers are: Harlan Ellison, Tanya Huff, Neil Gaiman, Ray Bradbury, Robin Hobb and many others.
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Hilary,

Short answers are:

Kent is doing good--not writing these days, he's still a photographer & he's been painting a lot the past couple of years.

Beth is doing the art gig full time and squeeking by so far. It's going on 2 years now. She's engaged to David Buth . . . I don't know if you know him or not. He's one of the main geeks behind the science rooms at various conventions.

I'm doing great. Thraicie and I are going to be handfasted this spring. Most of my free time after work is spent helping out at our store, Eye of Horus (usually working on the website or advertizing). But I've been working on carving out time for writing, as well, now that the store has been open for over a year. I work there on Tuesday nights because she teaches that night.

Jane
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2,534
Jane --

All of this is great news. Here's a silly question... Would you be able to make a Tuesday evening Meetup if we scheduled one at Eye of Horus? We still have not decided the March venue yet, and Eye of Horus (along with Riverside Cafe, Amazon Bookstore and a few other options) was mentioned as a possible Meetup venue.

Also... One Meetup in three is held on a Sunday afternoon or late morning in order to make it easier for people to come who have Tuesday conflicts. So if nothing else we hope to get you in April!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 5
Would you be able to make a Tuesday evening Meetup if we scheduled one at Eye of Horus?

Depends on timing. I'm there to help customers while Thraicie teaches a private class from 6-8 p.m. So I would certainly be there, but not able to participate the entire time . . . our meeting space is on the second floor in the art gallery and I need to be on the first floor.

We do supply tea and cookies and the space generally rents for $13/hr. for classes or private meetings, but since this is an open group, we would wave the rental and cheerfully accept any donations. Just call Thraicie to schedule at 612-872-1292.

I checked with Thraicie, and one Tuesday a month would work, since her class is small and can relocate to the Tarot Reading room. For a view of the space, check out http://www.eyeofhorusinc.com/gallery/index.htm­.
A former member
Post #: 26
Jane congrats to you and Thracie. Also to Beth and Dave. THe way this world works sometimes it is wonderful to hear about people jumping the broom and generating some happiness. Let everybody here at Clan Wagner know if we can help any. Now all we gotta do is work out a way to get you to one of the meetups. Have you pondered asking Ms Emily, my poor benighted lady wife and your stores oracle extraordinaire to cover? I just talked to her and the whole reason you're reading the suggestion is because she said I could make it. So there ya go, maybe we can see your smiling face at one of these things
Hugs
Bob