addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 285
Thanks, Ryan. I'll have to think about that. Nothing immediatley comes to my mind, but there may be others in the group that have leads. Anyone?
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 442
Ryan,

Full time jobs are tough to find. You might try a temp agency like Pro Staff (http://www.prostaff.c...­. They pay about ten an hour but the type of work you get can be the luck of the draw.

Ryan V
user 11931899
Marshall, MN
Post #: 3
Thanks for the advice. I'm not expecting to have full time anytime soon. :)
Travis T.
user 9743588
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9
Hello All,

My name is Travis. I'm not new to writing, but I've been out of it for a while and have been trying to get back into it. I have never written professionally, but would very much like to do so. My main interests are fantasy and a little bit of horror, and I also have a desire to write a pilot screenplay about roleplayers. I have other interests in writing too, but they aren't as much in the realm of speculative fiction.

- Travis
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 295
Welcome, Travis. Many other participants have similar interest in "fantasy and a little horror." Please come to one of the in-person sessions and meet some of the other participants.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey there, I'm Andy Cook and I'm new to this meetup thing, in addition to the idea of writing speculative fiction (at least with a certain level of commitment). I have ideas for fantasy and magical realism, in a more modern and urban setting. I came here looking for advice on getting started, staying focused, maybe developing some organizational skills that would come in handy for getting to the final period of a story... then maybe what to do from there. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of free time (which is all I have to use on a hobby like this for now,) but I hope to be able to participate and get involved in this community.

Thanks for listening,
Andy Cook
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 467
Hi Andy,

Glad you found MNSpec. You can check out our posts for info on all sorts of writing questions. They go back many years. They often contain links to info sites. Or you can post your question.

You are right about time being gold for a writer. You might consider writing flash fiction (stories usually under 1,000 words) or drabbles (exactly 100 words).

I hope you can join one of our groups for a presentation or critique. Check the Calender­.
Mallaidh Michelle ...
user 11049024
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
Hi, my name is Michele Kopesky. I actually joined MNSpec several months ago and was hoping to participate much earlier than this. I attend St. Catherine's University so classes took priority. I'm done for the year (until September) and I'm hoping to start getting involved in things.

I enjoy writing. It's something I've done off and on for several years. I want to start taking a more professional approach to it. I've recently started working on a faerie/urban fantasy story that focuses on the Tuatha de Danann, the ancient Irish race of fae. I'm hoping to get some critiques someday. I really value other writers' opinions.

I know about the group meetings this coming Sunday and next Tuesday. I'd like to attend both if it's doable for me.

Thanks for your time.
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 309
Welcome, Michele. If you have a chance, read Terry's submission, even if you do not plan on offering critiques. That will allow you a chance to calibrate your own (private-this-time) critique-o-meter against other people in the group.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 496
That's "Terry's Submission Post," very different from Terry's submission, which was part of my wedding vows. Welcome, Michele,