MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Christopher C. K.
user 12487673
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Hi, Chris Knall.

• Written a graphic novel script (hovering around 85% complete, unpublished; modernday political/historical fiction/love/ghost story)
• Written a first issue (complete story) of a potential comic book series (unpublished; con artist v. other criminals series)
• Written and published a first of three issue comic book (offbeat story based around my college versions of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, their love triangle, and the villain who returns after forty years to exact revenge when they've all split up)
• Written one very odd tri-genre novella (unpublished; post-apocalyptic horror/love story/satire "...with zombies and shit")
• Written five or less short stories (not including school; fantasy, sci-love-fi, spy fic, historical fiction)
• And last but not least, political curmudgeonry---though I've been trying to go on a diet (usually just bloggy rants, but on occasion I actually send messages to parties involved)

Most of my stuff has gay rights attached to it (apparently even when I'm not consciously aware of it).

I don't read nearly enough. Instead I save time by asking other people what they've read. Or sometimes I just read titles. For example, what is the following book (which I have not read) about:

Nobody Cheats Death

? (Apparently I also have a puzzle fetish).
Kris R.
user 12486742
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hello!

Kris Radcliffe –

• I write urban fantasy/ romance.
• I’ve completed a novel and I’m currently working on queries and the synopsis.
• I’m about 75,000 words into the first draft of the sequel.
• I dabbled in short stories a very long time ago. I never published any of my stories (I didn’t try that hard, to be honest.)
• I dabbled in comics, too. Almost published one.
• I co-authored a nonfiction book titled “Mind Shapes: Understanding the Differences in Thinking and Communication” in 2005. It’s available on Amazon.

I’m looking for a beta-reader or two for my novel. I’ll e-mail (or post) the synopsis if anyone is interested.

Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 311
Welcome Chris and Kris.

We do have a formal process for getting critiques of novel-length work, but it might be a bit slow for you. The monthly critique sessions have a max word count of 10k. Several people are pushing novels through that aperture. It isn't ideal, but it's our format. You are welcome, as you did, to invite individuals to step forward and critique an entire novel on the side. My suspicion is that you would benefit from exposing the first 10k to a regular critique session because that would get a taste of your work out in front of a group of people. A kindred soul might emerge from that. Anyway--that's my suggestion.

Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 501
Cheers, Kris and Chris. Our monthly MSP Critique has a lot of info about submitting work. We're constantly trying to make it more member-friendly so if you have suggestions for improvements please send them to me. Two other points - we have three critique groups using the MNSpec website: two in Minneapolis meeting at different times (MSP and Retrofits) and a group in East St. Paul (ESP). Also, we have a forum called the NAG SQUAD for folks who want to team up with another writer who'll will remind them to write.

I look forward to seeing you both.

Terry
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hi, all. I'm Eli Effinger-Weintraub. I write whatever pops into my mind, mostly short stories. Been a lot of steampunk or steampunk-inspired stuff lately; often in involves people on bicycles. Because that's what I'm usually doing when I'm not doing things writing- or editing-related (I'm also a being of the proofreading/copy editing variety). I also write plays and essays, though these tend not to be SF or SF-related.

I have a small piece of Internet real estate at http://backbooth.thes...­.

Glad to have finally kicked myself in the tuchus and joined up with all y'all.

-Eli
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 507
Hiho Eli,

I'm a bike rider so I hope you're within range of the Uptown Lunds in Minneapolis and can make it over August 15 for a ­Meetup Presentation Metting. If you really want the total experience, stay for the critique session. I hope to see you there.
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
Thanks, Terry. Alas, I'll be out of town on the 15th (biking the Mesabi Trail, as it happens). Definitely looking forward to the vacation, but sad to miss the meeting.
Abra
Abra
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 178
We've acquired an Eli! Yay! Shall I nag you if you don't show up? :)
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
We've acquired an Eli! Yay! Shall I nag you if you don't show up? :)
Well, don't nag about missing this meeting; it's a bit too long of a drive from Tower. But, sure, if I'm a consistent no-shower (no, wait, that looks wrong), feel free to poke me with pointy things.

Ohhhhh, I'm gonna regret that....
Andre G.
aguirard
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 321
feel free to poke me with pointy things.
Ohhhhh, I'm gonna regret that....
We don't use pointy objects, only sharpened wits. And we require no encouragement.