MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 332
Welcome aboard, Tammy...
Michael G.
user 15642961
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
Hello. My name is Mike, and I'm new here.

I've been writing since I was a kid. In high school I finished my first novel, and about two weeks ago I finished my tenth.

My life plan, as far as writing is concerned, was always to write in my spare time but keep my main focus on school – Once I graduate and have a real job, I could try to get my books published. Well, now I graduated, got a real job, and have no excuses left, so it's time to try publishing my novels. I just finished the first book of a new series.

My newest series is an Urban Fantasy about a wizard that lives in the Twin Cities area and works as a bodyguard and consultant to the CEO of a conglomerate corporation.

I found this group and decided to join in hopes to both improve my skills as a writer, and to learn about the publishing process so that I can get my novels published.
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 376
Welcome, Michael. You'll find a good range of writing skills and interests represented in the group. Be sure to come to one of the in-person meetings, such as at Lunds. If you can, I'd strongly encourage you to come to the critique session and to read the submitted pieces in advance. No need to come with critiques. I think reading before coming will make observing the critique session much more rewarding and will help calibrate your sensibilities with those of others in the group.

Of course, some might be described as having no sensibilities. I no longer blush when people tell me that.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 341
Welcome aboard, Mike, welcome aboard.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 697
It sounds like an interesting series, Mike. MNSpec has two critique groups, the MPS and ESP groups and Retrofits. Check the MNSpec calendar for meeting times.
A former member
Post #: 86
Sounds nifty Mike, welcome aboard.
Tim B.
timboerger
Saint Croix Falls, WI
Hello everyone. My name is Tim and I'm new to the group. I've been looking for like minded writers in the area and visited the panel at CONvergence. I'm quite happy to be here.

I mostly write science fiction stories, ranging from explorations on what it means to be human to tongue-in-cheek ray-gun space opera. I'm concentrating on short stories right now and also have a keen interest in writing s.f. humor and satire.

You may notice that I'm not actually living in Minnesota...but I have MN-cred. I lived in both St. Paul and Minneapolis and right now live only an hour away from the Cities. I'm trying very hard not to make a joke about being able to see Minnesota from my house. Almost true, though I would have to get on my roof to do so.

I'm glad to join the group, hope I can help and look forward to collecting rejection slips.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10,173
Hey Tim, it is awesome to see you on our board. Welcome! I do hope that you can make it out to the Twin Cities sometime to get to a meeting. Did you see that we have one on Rejection at Lunds on July 17th?

Hmm
Katie Berger T.
user 14285894
Minneapolis, MN
Hi, I'm Katie and I'm new to the board.

Like Tim, I got interested in being part of MinnSpec through CONvergence this year. I attended a lot of the writing craft panels (was not able to attend the MinnSpec meeting - I had dinner during that time and it was the only time that worked for my friends that day).

I'm starting to write again after a medium-long hiatus (a few years); queer fiction and high fantasy are grabbing my attention. I also am a role-playing GM and I write through that medium as well (though writing for an RPG is a lot different than writing fiction prose!)

Looking forward to meeting with you guys!
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10,174
Hi Katie, nice to see you aboard. Were you one of the people I saw in the audience of the Publish Your Own Game Panel?

Hmm