MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2,555
Jane ... Now all we gotta do is work out a way to get you to one of the meetups. Have you pondered asking Ms Emily, my poor benighted lady wife and your stores oracle extraordinaire to cover? I just talked to her and the whole reason you're reading the suggestion is because she said I could make it.

This sounds like a wonderful solution! Jane, if we had it at Eye of Horus, could Emily cover for you so that you could attend? You would be in the same building in case something comes up that Emily could not handle. What do you think?

Bob, tell Emily that she is a fabulous human being.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 6
Hmm . . . interesting possibility. I will discuss with Ms. Thraicie.
A former member
Post #: 7
Jane, if we had it at Eye of Horus, could Emily cover for you so that you could attend? You would be in the same building in case something comes up that Emily could not handle. What do you think?

Bob, tell Emily that she is a fabulous human being.

Hmm

I checked with Thraicie. Yes to all of the above. Call her at 612-872-1292 to schedule.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3,079
Kicking this discussion back up to the top because we have a bunch of new members that I am hoping will introduce themselves here... Our newest member is Stella, who I met at Peg Kerr's reading. Stella has published some stuff in Strange Horizons, Talebones and a few other cool places.

Stella, want to introduce yourself?

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi. :)

My name is Stella Evans, and I met Hilary Moon Murphy at Peg Kerr's reading last night.

It's great to meet you all; I look forward to doing so in vivo as well as in virtua.
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 24
Yeah Stella! I so hope you can to get to some of the meetings! And hey, you'll have a few friendly and familiar faces to look for at meetup!
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Hi, all! I probably won't be able to participate much until summer, when my schedule gets a little less crazy. But I thought I'd drop in and get acquainted anyhow.

My name is Jaye Lawrence, and most of what I write would fall under the general category of urban fantasy or magical realism. But I also have mystery and mainstream stories in progress, and a few chapters of novels in several genres. I'm better at starting things than finishing them, alas, but so are most writers I know. (I think the procrastination gene is linked with the writer gene.)

I've been published twice thus far, once in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction ("Kissing Frogs," May 2004) and once in Great River Review ("All the Blue-Haired Ladies," Spring/Summer 2004). A third story, "Fallen Idols," was recently accepted by F&SF but no publication date has been set.

That's probably as long-winded as I dare to get on short acquaintance -- but I look forward to getting to know you better! Great to know there are other fantasy & science fiction writers in the area.

smile
Ricky E F.
Ricky_Foos
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 20
Hi, all! I probably won't be able to participate much until summer, when my schedule gets a little less crazy. But I thought I'd drop in and get acquainted anyhow.

My name is Jaye Lawrence, and most of what I write would fall under the general category of urban fantasy or magical realism. But I also have mystery and mainstream stories in progress, and a few chapters of novels in several genres. I'm better at starting things than finishing them, alas, but so are most writers I know. (I think the procrastination gene is linked with the writer gene.)

I've been published twice thus far, once in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction ("Kissing Frogs," May 2004) and once in Great River Review ("All the Blue-Haired Ladies," Spring/Summer 2004). A third story, "Fallen Idols," was recently accepted by F&SF but no publication date has been set.

That's probably as long-winded as I dare to get on short acquaintance -- but I look forward to getting to know you better! Great to know there are other fantasy & science fiction writers in the area.

smile
Alright Jaye,

Welcome. It'll be good to see you when you're able to make it.

Rickey
A former member
Hello all!

I'm Nick Scholtes. Currently, I'm working on a story that will at least be a novella, if not a novel, that's about vampires, but I don't think it's really horror. I'd say supernatural/modern fantasy. I've also written a few essays, as well as poetry.

Okay. So here's the million dollar (and oft repeated) question: How does one go about getting published? I really want to get some essays, poems, and some shorter work published while I'm working on my novel . . . and my plans for total world domination!!! BWAAA HA HA HA HA!! . . . . Ahem! I'm sorry, was that out loud? My inner monologue gets away from me, so to speak, every now and again.

So, if anyone has any advice, I would be most appreciative.

Hope all's well with everyone! By the way, what is the genre "magical realism?" I've never heard of it.
smile
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
By the way, what is the genre "magical realism?" I've never heard of it.
smile

I would describe it as fiction where magical elements appear in an otherwise realistic setting, i.e. it's recognizably our normal world rather than an invented world. Alice Hoffman and Gabriel Garcia Marquez play in this territory; so does Charles de Lint in his Newford stories.

Re: the getting published, I'm no expert after two publications! But I suppose the standard procedure is to carefully research the markets, choose the ones that seem to fit your work best, and follow the submission guidelines they request. Writer's Market is a good source of market info, but most publications also have their guidelines on their web sites.

For poetry, you might want to check out Poets & Writers magazine. They're a good source of info on legitimate poetry contests and literary journals that accept poetry.