addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Dan G.
dsgood
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 533
I wrote my first short story in 1984 or ’85... It was a fantasy story. I followed that up with a science fiction story. ]

Welcome!

How old were you when you wrote those first stories?
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
I signed up recently and look forward to being able to make a group meeting. I was encouraged to join your group by a member or another wrting group because I write science fiction and fantasy. :)

I like to read fantasy and science fiction. I lean towards reading the fantasy side, but like science fiction with a little romance mixed in. :)

I am a very outgoing, friendly person. (Just a heads up before you meet me)

I do not have anything published, but I have written one very rough draft of a novel - did it several years back for Nanowrimo. I also have several starts to novels that are on the back burner.

In the past I have read and critiqued for fellow writer friends. I am improving on that front gradually.

My stories tend to be on other earth like worlds.

That is the writer me in a nutshell.
Dan G.
dsgood
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 544
Welcome, Renae!
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 170
Hi, Renae, and welcome. We're glad to have you aboard.

Generally speaking, we are a friendly bunch, thought not always outgoing (just a heads up before you meet us).
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 497
Welcome!
Jim W.
Warner8
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
I wrote my first short story in 1984 or ’85... It was a fantasy story. I followed that up with a science fiction story. ]

Welcome!

How old were you when you wrote those first stories?

While I can rarely remember how old I currently am, I can remember how old I was when I started writing. I was ten. wink

And if you think I'm joking about that, I thought I was 32 for three years running. My sister claims it's early senility. I think it's because everything goes downhill after thirty.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 500
Cool. My mom remembers me declaring I wanted to be an author one day at age six and I sold my first short story when I was 14. That was 32 years ago.

And, for me, things really started clicking after age 40 . . .
A former member
Hello all

I've had to take a break from fiction writing to finish up school, but I hope to resume again early 2013. I've been working on a series of stories that take place in the Eclipse Phase roleplaying universe, mostly to avoid the need to do "world building" of any kind and allow myself to focus on character, plot and tightness of prose.

I used to write comic scripts, and was working with an author to put together a graphic novel version of some out of print books of his, but we were just a hair too early, and none of the publishers could figure out what a "graphic novel" was or why they would want one. So, nothing published there but it was a fascinating experience, nonetheless.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 505
Welcome aboard, Jordan. smile
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Color me embarrassed. I had forgotten that I had written a hello and am just now getting back and was planning to say how much I would like to get to know some of you better. Maybe I would have by now IF I had remembered to come back and check.

I have often told many, many people, I have the memory of a gold fish. Once a round the tank, and I forget all kinds of things. Here is the proof.

For me my desire to start writing might have come about in my early 20s -- just after I married my husband and had finally settled down from being so busy at being wild to actually think about something other than partying, sex and drugs. I am almost embarrassed to mention I ever had that phase of my life now that I am an old woman.

Yeppers, at around 42 -43 - maybe even 44, my knees creak, my hips ache and there have been days I just don't want to get out of bed. And as for talking to me, don't even think about it before my first coffee.

As for how old I am, I would have to do some math or go ask Ayron -the spousal unit. He keeps track of dates for me.

Back to the writing thing. At 20 I had a desire to write, but I also had a small child and soon I was busy working to get my husband through college so that someday finances wouldn't be as tight. I am still waiting on that someday. :P

I have played with some science fiction and some fantasy, both always having a dollop of romance in them, but it wasn't until about three years ago I decided to actually read some books on how to write. I think I may have had a fantasy that all I had to do was put some words down on paper and I could create a best seller. HA! Now that I have read a little about writing when I go back I can see how bad my first attempts are. I am not giving up though. I will work through this and hopefully, eventually, improve.

Thank you for all the hellos. I am very sorry I forgot to check in before now.

Write on!