addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 528
Welcome aboard, Andrew!
Margaret T.
user 12895497
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 95
Hi, Andrew!

I think you'll find a fan of just about everything in this group. We're pretty diverse.
Melissa
user 12632638
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hello all! New to the group. Corporate communications writer by day, fiction writer by night and weekend. Well, some nights and weekends. In fact, I should be doing some editing right now but, gosh, look at the time . . .

Anyway, I've tried my hand at scripts and stories, some spec fic and some not (nothing published or produced so far), and am currently almost done with a semi-final draft of a novel, co-written with my husband. It's a horror novel set in Victorian England, featuring two well-known personalities of the day. Would that be welcome at a critique group, or is sci-fi/fantasy more the thing? I'd love to get some fresh perspectives, particularly on the first few chapters, as we're disagreeing on whether they're strong enough to hook the reader.

Another question about the critique groups: The "East St. Paul" and "MSP" seem location-based, but what's the deal with the "WALI" and the "Retrofit" groups? (I think I have those names right.) Do they have a particular focus?

Thanks for any info, and hope to join a meetup soon!
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 985
Hi, Melissa.
Dan G.
dsgood
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 558
"Anyway, I've tried my hand at scripts and stories, some spec fic and some not (nothing published or produced so far), and am currently almost done with a semi-final draft of a novel, co-written with my husband. It's a horror novel set in Victorian England, featuring two well-known personalities of the day. Would that be welcome at a critique group, or is sci-fi/fantasy more the thing?"

Supernatural horror fits, I would say.

"Another question about the critique groups: The "East St. Paul" and "MSP" seem location-based, but what's the deal with the "WALI" and the "Retrofit" groups? (I think I have those names right.) Do they have a particular focus?"

Retrofits is an independent group; I believe WALI is also.

Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 540
Melissa, hey.
Eli
user 38602332
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1
I'm Eli Berg-Maas. Moved back into the area a few months ago and found this group while originally looking for a more conventional scifi/fantasy book club. I haven't written anything outside a few creative writing classes, but I will be trying, primarily with near future computercentric or more space operatic settings. I've been to one of the critique groups, and this looks it could be very enjoyable regardless.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 551
Welcome aboard, Eli!
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 189
I'm Eli Berg-Maas. Moved back into the area a few months ago and found this group while originally looking for a more conventional scifi/fantasy book club. I haven't written anything outside a few creative writing classes, but I will be trying, primarily with near future computercentric or more space operatic settings. I've been to one of the critique groups, and this looks it could be very enjoyable regardless.
ZOMGanotherhyphe­natedEli! WE ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD.

I mean, um...hi, Eli. Good to have you here.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1,013
Hi Eli, and take it easy Eli. Of course you two have to meet and co author a book.