addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,259
Maggie --

Welcome to the group! It is lovely to see you join us!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello, all! I'm a math major down at St. Olaf. I write science fiction and fantasy short stories in my spare time - it helps balance out all the left-brain activity. smile I found your group online this summer. I hope to make it to some of the events, homework permitting. Like Maggie, I've been writing in near-vacuum lately and I miss that mutual support. So, it's exciting to find you folks.

Sarah
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,286
Welcome, Sarah!

I hope that we can see you at a Meetup soon!

Hmm
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 77
I just wanted to say a quick hello to all the new members! Feel free to post a little something about yourselves in this thread.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,307
Michael, thank you!

I too want to hear from more of our new members.... And I'm off to e-mail some of them now.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 1
Howdy, folks!

My name's Dave and I write the scary stuff...usually.

Nice to meet you all. smile
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,356
Dave --

Welcome to the meetup group. We have an event coming up this Tuesday. I hope that you can make it.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 700
Hi Everyone!
I'm a 24 year old stay at home mom to two great kids, happily married since 2001. My husband is the writer, I'm too busy with the two kids to get back into it.

In high school, I wrote a lot and planned to major in English, to better my craft. I fell in love, got married, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Pat O.
poregan
Inver Grove Heights, MN
Post #: 37
Hi, Everyone Again:

To continue: I would love to take up the invitation by Hilary to read a short story to the SF Group. I have always been of the mind that it is virtually impossible to get one's own work perfect. What one fails to see, even after repeated readings, others spot at once. It takes a different mind to catch the problems and the delights of a piece of writing.

So, I'll show up at this group. The story is about 8 pages. I could read just part of it.

Over the past year and a half I've written some 18 short stories, 3 pages to 30. Some are better than others. I've also written novels and plays. I mentioned somewhere on Meetup that I have recently been reading Poe (the father of the mystery story, by the way). I see that many of his stories have two dates, 6, 7, 8 years apart. Apparently, he would start and finish a story, then go back to it years later for a re-write, and that's what we have. I see the same thing happening with my earlier stuff.

What the St Paul Writers Group needs is 6 or 8 determined writers. Genre does not matter; neither does phase of the writing process (beginner or experienced); or anything else, except the simple determination to write.

A lot of fun chatter should be a part of this, too. I'd like to hear what other people have to say about the creative process... I could go on and on... Another time.

Thanks for the opportunity, Hilary. I'll see you and the others, you all of the rich imagination (I have to collect everything from life), at a group meeting.

Patcool
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 100
I'd just like to take a moment to welcome all the new people! Welcome!