MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Pat O.
poregan
Inver Grove Heights, MN
Post #: 38
Hi, Everyone:

My name is Pat, and I'm the new organizer of the St Paul Writers Group. Hiliary was kind enough to invite me to join your group. I put a message out yesterday, but I don't see it. No matter. The words in this way fly off the fingers.

I've been writing all my adult life. I've kept journals since I was sitting in the mud in the jungle in the Army. (A good thing for a writer to do, by the way. I have used that stuff in the later writing.) I've written novels, stories and plays. The stories were written mostly over the past year and a half. It is the latest of these that I would like to read to your group. Some of the short stories have been published. The novels and plays need work.

The point of starting a group is to read what I have written to others and listen to their work in turn. There is magic in hearing one's work read. One senses the positive encouragement -- a good thing, even if the listeners are just being nice. I will bring "The Father" to the next meeting of your group. I could read it in about 10 minutes. Love to hear a new piece of SciFi, too.

I am beginning to get the impression from Hiliary that this is a marketing game. Well, it should be. And I can learn, that, too. You are fortunate to have such a spirited organizer. I'll try to get into the game. Nobody wants to read dull writing and, by the same token, they would have no interest in a dull group.

The really good writers bubble with life, even if it isn't apparent.

I'll stay in touch with this group.

Write to you again later,

Patsmile
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,538
Pat --

Welcome to our boards! I am delighted to see you here.

My name is Pat, and I'm the new organizer of the St Paul Writers Group. Hiliary was kind enough to invite me to join your group. I put a message out yesterday, but I don't see it. No matter. The words in this way fly off the fingers.

Your introductory post was here­. I hope that this helps you find it!

BTW, you still have not joined the group... Are you aware of this? Pat, you are more than welcome to lurk and participate at any level you want to do so. If you want to receive our group mailings (I try not to send more than a one a week and usually a lot less) you should click this link to join­.

I will bring "The Father" to the next meeting of your group. I could read it in about 10 minutes. Love to hear a new piece of SciFi, too.

Great! I've already included you on the RSVP list as my guest.

I am beginning to get the impression from Hiliary that this is a marketing game.

For the members of the Meetup (most of them, anyway) my marketing should not be noticed that much. For Organizers, on the other hand... promotion is really important. To get a core of six to eight people meeting, you probably need at least ten to fifteen members. Another important piece of information... Members are most enthusiastic when they first join, so try to involve them in your group as fast as you can. Send welcome letters to your new members. Write a note to the group about upcoming events, or other writing related events. It's all good!

Two key suggestions: other than prettying up your site and making it look lived in, you may also want to post flyers in bookstores and cafes, hand out business cards (I'm infamous for this) and list your group on a site like Craigslist. Meetup has some general promotion tips in its Organizer Center that are worth a look. You may also want to ask Teresa Klostreich for ideas. She started a writers Meetup in Fargo not that long ago, and has 22 members now.

Well, it should be. And I can learn, that, too.

Pat, you have a great attitude. Given your enthusiasm, I think your group will grow very quickly.

You are fortunate to have such a spirited organizer.
Thanks! I could not do this however, without the help of some great members, especially my assistant Organizers. Dan Goodman in particular has been wonderful as my chief source of ideas and butt-kicking.

I'll stay in touch with this group.

Do! We want to know how things are going for you!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 229
Hello all!

My name is Tamian. As I said in my profile, I'm mainly here because of the membership drive, (because I live in Miami, it's a heck of a commute to make it to the meetups.) but I am an avid reader, mostly SF and Fantasy.

I tried my hand at writing (which I guess qualifies me to be here), but after taking a creative writing class, decided I might not really have any talent at it.

My Mother LOVED the three chapters I wrote (I guess she kind of had to with those Mummy coloured glasses she has on all the time)

Anywho, I am a graphic designer by trade, and do a lot of book covers and layouts, so, if anyone is interested in getting their work designed, I'm your gal! You can see some of my work at www.tamianwood.com

Kind regards,
Tamian
PS Hilary, thanks so much for the sweet warm welcome you sent my way.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone! Catherine here exeperiencing writer's block as I introduce myself. Reckon that means I'm keeping things simple!

wink

I write short stories and plays with science fiction focus and an interest in horror (more like seasoning). I also enjoy writing children's stories.

I like hanging out with SF writers because they're terrible poker players, just like me. biggrin

~Catherine
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 121
I want to say hello to all of our new members! We're glad you've joined us. Please feel free to post with your introductions or any questions you might have!

In Peace
Michael
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,844
Hey new members!

I'm going to reiterate Michael's welcome. I'm hoping that all of you get a chance to post and tell us a bit about yourselves. (This especially goes for anyone who joins this group who isn't local the the Twin Cities Metro area.)

And if you are local, I'm hoping to meet you sometime at an event!

Welcome!

hugs

Hmm
Bob W.
bwatkins
Addison, TX
Post #: 1,021
It was a dark and stormy night. (I can hear the groans already!)

The radio said it was the 36th consecutive day of rain in Seattle. "Great," he thought. "Four more, and we can all get busy building an ark." Then a chime insinuated itself into the close harmony of the Manhattan Transfer CD playing in his headphones. Mail! Another chance to procrastinate on his current writing project, a series of four articles on database technology.

"Come join us in Minneapolis-St. Paul," read the ASCII siren's call. "Not that you don't already have too much to do."

He hesitated. It had been long time since he had even read any speculative fiction, much less written any. (At least, he knew enough to call it SF and not "sci-fi" any more.) But the organizer was an amazing woman. He checked out the group, and was impressed by the quality of the conversation. He could certainly learn a lot about the craft of writing from this bunch.

"Count me in," he mumbled to himself, and clicked the Join button. Then he turned back to his project, and smiled through the next six paragraphs.
A former member
Post #: 2
Not much to tell about myself other than I have numerous interests. As such, I have never really mentally settled down. I have had a range of jobs: donned a rat suit for a year at a popular pizza chain, Japanese cook, Head of Human Resources, military, insurance, and numerous others. I have just spent the last year inside as a house-husband. I love taking care of my girls and wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe world peace. Oops, beauty contestant coming through.

I wrote a short stoy about a budding serial killer for an author's website. It was for Halloween and was to be dark. Well, she told me it was too dark and was not going to publish it on her site.

I started my first book a year ago, only working on it while watching Iron Chef at night. Then I would put it away for several months, take it out and add a page, put it away... Now, I feel spurred on to complete it. It runs through my head at night like a movie. Details everywhere, but I have never been able to get my mind onto paper. I have the worlds in my head (many, many, there is a lot of room in there).

I am excited to meet all y'all. Cuz' dis writin' bugs dun nibblin'.

Thanks,

Rick
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4,865
Welcome, Bob and Rick! What very entertaining intros you've given us here.

Thank you!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi to all. I'm Rory Cole. I'm writing a sci-fi series of five parts. It's an absurd jaunt through the multiverse. What some call the Existual flux: that space in non-existence where existence has managed a foothold. It details the rise and fall of a multidimensional corporation that has hijacked existence and uses it to their own means: basically comics, movies, merchandise. As Jusius, one of the characters, states to Farlo, the reluctant anti-hero destined to save existence, "Somewhere in another dimension, it's highly probable someone has your face on their lunch box." Rather than be about what would happen if, the series is about what wouldn't happen. Yeah. Something like that. The point is I'm having a lot of fun writing it.