addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Jason D. W.
jasondwittman
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 544
I think it would be a good thing for everyone involved, yes. Nothing fancy, just a simple page providing links.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 578
Hear, hear.
Keith
user 6839244
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I was at the meeting, and am interested in helping with the anthology, but haven’t heard anything further. What’s the next step?
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 580
And what was agreed upon at said meeting? Report!
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1,258
Hi, Everyone -

We decided to go ahead and seek a traditional publisher in order to mitigate financial risk to MinnSpec. By become a small press publisher, MinnSpec would change its nature and the nature of its relationship with Geek Partnership Society, so seeking a traditional publisher seemed our best option. The plan is to query other publishers with the project, including some major regional publishers, knowing that Alban Lake has already said they wold publish the collection if we wished to move forward, making them our fallback line. What we are seeking is a better deal financially for the authors and greater exposure for the book.

Timeline wise, I should start the query process sometime after CONvergence. I am putting together a list of publishing houses that might be even remotely interested in the project. I hope to have a query letter prepared in the coming weeks, which I will send out to a few volunteer readers. Be aware that I'm doing this around my own full-time job and my own writing and performing projects. When I am in a place or have a need to hand off some of the work, I certainly will.

Anyone else have anything to add? There was a good group at the meeting and they might remember something I've forgotten.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 581
Thanks, Michael!
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1,268
Just fyi, This project go pushed back because of my involvement with Minnesota Fringe Festival, but I am back on track and researching local and regional publishers for this project.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 600
Cool. (Thought as much. wink)
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1,278
So far the query has been rejected by Milkweed Editions and Coffee House Press because they are not interested in genre fiction. Greywolf will only consider titles from agents. Nordin Press said no.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1,101
I'm revisiting the the self-publishing idea. What if we printed and sold our own anthologies in tandem with putting it out as an ebook on Smashwords and Amazon?

A 150-page trade paperback comes to about $6/book (I hope I read Lulu's estimate right), but of course that doesn't include cover art, an ISBN number, or labor. (No advances to authors. We'd ask authors to buy their own work and resale it at a mark up in order to make a profit. Sorry, but that's how a lot of small presses work these days.) Let's see: ISBNs are $125 for 1. (It's $250 to ten, which would be a better deal if the plan were to continue doing anthologies.) Say $150 for the art. And add $300 for our noble editor. Throw in another $300 to proof the bugger. The first run of 100 anthologies would cost $1,475 or a wholesale price of about $14.75/book. Ah, but you say the last anthology cost only $12.00 retail.

This is where selling lots of books comes in. My choice of 100 books was for math convenience to illustrate the situation. The initial costs of cover art, editing, proofing, and an ISBN drops to zero after 100 books, leaving only the print cost of $6.00/book. Sell 200 books and the cumulative wholesale cost adds up to $2075 but the cost per book drops to $10.38. Sell 500 and we're at $7.75/book.

Could the anthology as an ebook make $1475 to start the ball rolling? It is doubtful, because Smashwords or Amazon will want a big chunk. However, what if the ebook profits were combined with a pledge that MNSpec and GPS members would buy some print anthologies? Even without selling one ebook, if 30 members each pledged to buy 10 anthologies at $8.92/book (which they could resell at a profit or give away as gifts) the anthology would break even (based on my coffee addled figures). If more pledged the price per book would drop. Sell beyond the initial pledge or realize ebook profits and whoever is good at figuring royalties could go to work paying contributing authors.

I did this rather quickly so if people see flaws in the math or logic, please comment.