Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1,233
ETA: Just so everyone is clear, this Britt Aamodt's project, not mine. I'm just posting it here for the membership to see and possibly take part in. I'll put you in touch with Britt if you want to try and book some studio time with her to record. ---Michael Merriam

From MinnSpec Member Britt Aamodt:

I am going to be one of the curators on Mn Ink, a series of Minnesota-made stories read aloud by the authors of six minutes and under. The segments will air once a week. I want to extend this opportunity, which of course doesn't pay, to our speculative fiction community. Because our community rocks! I am hoping to get KFAI to archive the stories online at some point, either on their website or on Ampers, the parent organization of all Minnesota community radio stations.

I hope you'll submit something, and please let everyone know. Maybe it can be a MinnSpec writer's challenge. I've posted the basic guidelines below. Thanks, Mike. Britt

MN INK a weekly series of Minnesota-made stories and poetry read by the authors on KFAI

Stories should be six minutes in length or shorter when read aloud.

Start each recording by identifying the title of the story and your name. For example, "Love's Labour's Lost by Joe Minnesota."

The writer can either read the story or "tell" it off-script.

The submissions should be recorded as WAV
files, not MP3s. If you have an MP3 file, you can use a program like iTunes to convert it to a WAV file. (Google "iTunes convert file to WAV" to find out how.)

Because the stories and poems will be broadcast on radio, pieces cannot contain swear words.

Send WAV files via YouSendIt to mninkstories@yahoo.com via YouSendIt or the YouSendIt lite version available through some email programs like Yahoo!

Writers can send more than one submission.

For this first round, submissions will be accepted through March 1, 2013. Only writers whose stories have been selected will be contacted by Mn Ink.

Stories will be broadcast, one a week, during KFAI's morning news.

A lot of writers don't have access to recording equipment, so I've been going to KFAI radio in Mpls on a Saturday or Sunday to record the stories for the KFAI story series (now titled FreshWords. Yeah, we can't make up our minds).

Anyway, I was wondering if you and some other MinnSpec'ers would want to come down to KFAI one Saturday or Sunday, anywhere from two to three writers at a time, and I can record the pieces. Writers can submit stories or essays or poetry in any genre. And I encourage them to bring more than one piece.

Let me know if you'd like to set up a recording date.

Contact Michael Merriam at mmerriam@gmail.com if you would like Britt's contact info
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 992
I'd be happy to lend my reading voice.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 541
Nice.
Jason D. W.
jasondwittman
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 537
Sure, what the hey.

So what would a six-minute story be in terms of wordage?
Michael M.
mmerriam
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 1,234
Jason - Around 750 words depending on speed.