I've updated this Meetup. For more details, see the full listing:http://www.meetup.com/Minneapolis-StPaul-Backpackers/calendar/13815488/
When: Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:00 PM
303 Fillmore St. East
Preston, MN 55965
THE INFO:****UPDATE AS OF WEDNESDAY, JUNE 23****There have been some questions, so I'm hoping to clarify more on the event (and I had this all typed out last night when the power went out - and it went bye-bye. Don't you hate retyping things?!??! lol)
1. This is simply car camping. If you are camping, we will camp at Isinours, likely closer to cars (although the hilltop is an option). I will get out on Saturday and snag a good site or two with room for all tents. There is no charge. >Please let me know anticipated time of arrival Saturday; thanks.<
2. You also are welcome to come Friday if you like. Just be sure to let me know, so I can get the site in order for Friday night. An FYI: I will not be there Friday night, as I have a local "girls night out" event to attend (which is why I set this up for just Sat.) But if you want to come an extra night, that is fine. BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW.
3. The trail we are hiking is a rails-to-trails trail and is asphalt. This is to help us clumsy people from tripping and falling so much in the dark (as we might on a natural surface trail, :P ).
4. I think we will meet in Preston at 7:30 to shuttle vehicles. I was checking all this out Monday night and saw it was still plenty light at 8:30. I'd like to start in daylight, go through sunset and then into moonlight. We won't start hiking until at least 8 p.m. from Preston.
5. You can choose to wear a backpack on the trail if you want, but you certainly don't have to since we will have camp set up already. Feel free to wear a daypack... and you might want a couple beverages - Oh yeah, and water, too. ; ) Maybe some snacks.
6. You can hike plenty of other places or bring a bike along to bike the Root River Trail. A note here, also. The DNR is resurfacing and widening the trail in this area. It is closed, although I think we will be able to hike where we need to. If there is a problem, we will still stay at Isinours, but hike elsewhere on the trail system. On Monday night, the trail had been scraped to dirt, widened and not yet resurfaced from Isinours to the Old Barn.
7. There is also a trail around 3 miles in length that goes around the edge of the Isinours Unit (of the Richard J. Dorer Forest). You could hike that easily. Also, trails are close by at Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center (10 miles away tops), or Forestville/Mystery Cave (around 20 miles away),.
8. Bring your own supplies. And money. Although I don't anticipate needing much, have some for your gas, incidental snacks or meals (we may hit the Old Barn for its Full Moon party at the hike's conclusion).
9. Also make sure to have bug spray!!! I would guess it might be buggy out at night.
10. Have a headlamp along, but unless it's cloudy we will plan not to use them.
11. And, FINALLY, remember you can just show up and hike if you want to (although it would be a long trip home)
Please write me at lisapbia at yahoo dot com with anticipated arrival times on Friday and/or Saturday. And sorry, but you will need to set up your own carpools. I see you've started to attempt making contacts, so that is great!
RSVP limit: 20 "Yes" RSVPs
If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Yes".)
You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Minneapolis-StPaul-Backpackers/suggestion/