addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Minneapolis/St. Paul Backpackers Meetup Group Message Board › Thru-hiking the SHT in July 2011

Thru-hiking the SHT in July 2011

Jen R
hikeabelle
Harlan, IA
Post #: 7
I would defiantely be interested in doing this this summer. I am busy doing the 14ers over the 4th of July, but over all I am free for the summer. The benefits of being a teacher. I've hiked Gooseberry through Hwy 6 of the SHT in the past. Can't wait to go farther north. Three or four weeks? Is it a more relaxed trek?
Mike
user 12957834
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
Yeah I shoot for around 300'.

Chad - Were each of your resupply locations easy to work with? Did you call first and then drop it off? I'm curious how everything is working these days with security measures.
A former member
Post #: 24
What do you guys think about this resupply idea: My plan was to start on the southern edge and hike north on the trail since I have hiked most of the trail south of Lutsen and I wanted the last days of the hike to be the most exciting. I wanted to drive two cars up to the northern edge and on the drive up I would stop at specific trail heads and hang a dry bag full of food/fuel in the trees near the parking areas so that I would not miss them. Starting the hike at the south edge I would take the food/fuel and empty my garbage into the drybags as I hiked north on the trail then on my car drive home I would stop at the trail heads to pick up the drybags full of garbage. What do you guys think of that idea? My only concern is that someone would find my drybag and screw me over but I do not see that happening.
A former member
Post #: 29
Hey guys what month do the mosquitoes usually come out? I'm just making a rough draft of my gear list and if I don't have to worry about mosquitoes I can travel a lot lighter (and I will be a lot less miserable!). My current plans are to start during the 2nd week in May.
A former member
Post #: 71
January, February, March: Winter backpacking!

April: Expect enough snow to be on the ground that snowshoes are required

May: Except in low lying shaded areas all of the snow is typically
melted. The trail is generally very wet with standing water,
especially in low lying areas. No bugs yet.

June / July: The trail is typically dried out and the bugs appear. Depending on
the amount of rain and night time temperatures the bugs may be a
minor annoyance or a biblical swarm, bring deet.

August: By the end of the month the bugs are gone but the weather is still
nice enough to get by with a 30 degree sleeping bag.

September: The beginning of the month is much like the end of August; no bug
with mild temperatures. For the rest of the month I'd start bring a
light weight down jacket for around camp.

October / November: It starts getting rather cool and you'll need a sleeping system good down into the low 20's.

December: Winter backpacking!

A former member
Post #: 43
I could join you for a week in July , depending on your dates and mileage goals, maybe part of your supply plan. I did Caribou to Hwy1 last September and would love to come back for more. I will be watching the discussion. Have fun planning.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 116
I'm doing Isle Royale in late June, but wouldn't be against a TH of the SHT in July. I did a small section (Two Harbors -> Split Rock) last July in a day and a half and had a blast.

Got the OK from my wife for a trip, so I'm up for it.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 124
i uploaded a file for helping to plan with mileage: here­

I really think we can get this thing done in 13 days or less, but I also like high mileage days :)

Are people still up for this?
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 133
I will be doing this with a friend from Aug 5-19. If anyone is interested you are welcome to attend if you're up for it.

We'll be hiking southbound and doing 3 supply drops.