The Minneapolis/St. Paul Backpackers Meetup Group Message Board › Any outdoorsy families around?

Any outdoorsy families around?

Jill B
user 4477322
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 67
After living here close to 3 years I have yet to find families interested in getting their kids outside to camp, hike, canoe, climb, fish, etc. Are there any families in this group? I'm thinking of starting up my own MeetUp group so I can find people who actually enjoy sleeping outside, on the ground. :-) Help! Please help me change my perception of Minneapolis!!
A former member
Post #: 103
My family loves to do these activites! We haven't done much, except hiking, since children but really want to incorporate these activites into their lives. Our kids are on the young side yet (2.5 years and almost 15 months). How old are your kids?
Dave
Dryfoot
Lake City, MN
Post #: 25
The Backpackers Meetup Group is more of an adult group because of the nature of most of the trips. For a more family oriented group check out the Rochester Outdoor Meetup group. http://www.meetup.com...­
This group is more family oriented. And since you are south of the "Cities" already, all the places in SE MN will seem closer. Just post some discussions and see where it goes. This group is just getting started so things are a little loose yet, but it is great to get a group started that takes advantage of all the places in SE MN that seem to escape all those who want to "head up north".
Also for hiking, check out the "Liking Hiking" group. http://likinghiking.c...­
This group is very much family oriented. Mostly doing day hikes in SE MN, Barb the "organizer" tries to do a hike each month, year 'round. Many times camping is part of the hkes.

I was taking my kids camping at 4 months old. You can never start too young! You just need to get used to the "Carry me, please" requests. Although my kids are grown now, so I only camp with them probably once a year, I still camp year round solo, with several meetup groups, and with scouts. So if you want any info on where to go just send me a note.