add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Minneapolis/St. Paul Backpackers Meetup Group Message Board › A Thrilling Way to Backpack

A Thrilling Way to Backpack

A former member
Post #: 45
Hey I am just tossing this out there in hopes that maybe someday someone will run across this, become very excited, and I will finally have a friend to join me on this extremely unique way of backpacking (I will refer to it as canopy camping).

Canopy camping is backpacking out into the woods and then using standard rock/tree climb equipment to reach the tree canopy and stay there for the night. These pictures help explain:

Here is my campsite:

And this is the 52 feet of nothingness under my hammock:

Honestly, the only requirement is having the ability to overcome your fear of heights. I made the hammock in about 30 minutes for a total of $18 and most of my gear is rockclimbing equipment with standard backpacking gear.

Please, if you have any interest in this speak up because I would enjoy the adventure so much more if I wasnt alone! 

PS if you want more pictures see this link: http://www.hammockfor...­
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 139
whoa! That'd be a trip :)

I'm insanely afraid of heights, and though I love my WB Blackbird, I don't think I could crawl up 30-50 feet to hang. I'd be interested to meet you on a local hang though

-Kinnell (BackpackingZombie on HF)
A former member
Post #: 47
Awesome. You would be surprised by how quickly the fear of heights dissipates. Did you attend the Frozen butt hang?