Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › Our Group's About Page

Our Group's About Page

A former member
Post #: 4,402
I've been tweaking it. I really hate the scrolling that happened when I added the photo, but what do you think of it so far?

Hmm
Ferin
ferinesarafyn
Minot, ND
Post #: 120
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I've been tweaking it. I really hate the scrolling that happened when I added the photo, but what do you think of it so far?

Hmm

I like it Hilary.

For everyone else, Hilary asked me what to do with the group's About page. I let her know that I would put it to the members because it's been awhile since I've considered what we could put on there.

I think it would be good to list a few web sites that are good resources for gamers (i.e.: Roleplaying Tips Weekly, Game Mechanics, homepages to gaming products). However, I think we might want to render an opinion on how many links we should have on the page, too.

We could also maintain a section on the About page for Group Members who have websites of their own.

What do you think?

Lea Wellner
A former member
Post #: 4,407
What Lea said...

Truly it would be an easy thing for me to put a whole bunch of sections on the About page. Links to gaming sites, links to your own personal webpages, it's all good.

If you want it, I can add it.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 4,408
Another thing to consider...

I could add a counter to your About page. If the About page gets a lot of hits, the group might be able to use it to get a paying sponsor for part of the fees that Meetup charges.

For example, look at the About Page of the Greenville D&D Meetup Group. (You may have to scroll down to see what I am talking about.)

He has sponsors that he links to on his group's page. The sponsors help pay the Meetup fees. He does not have a counter but I have seen other groups who do. He also has a list of useful links for his group.

I think that this is one great example of what can be done with an About Page.

Hmm
Ferin
ferinesarafyn
Minot, ND
Post #: 150
Hi Hilary,

Thank you for your recent efforts on updating the "About Page" for our group. It looks really nice, plus your edits assisted me with making a better "Index" section for our Message Board. You wouldn't believe how often I switched back and forth between windows to see how you did things in the "About Page".

I think we batted around ideas to have our members let us know about their personal websites that relate to gaming. I think it would be great if our members would let us know what their sites are in this thread.

How about it gang? Let Hilary know how you appreciate the updated "About Page".

Lea
General Assistant Organizer

S. S. Ferine Sarafyn is the name of my website. I haven't updated it recently. It's a resource for writers and gamers alike. The index page gives you the tale about the website's name.

P.S. Gang, how about dropping a post or email to me with your website address. Hilary is an assistant organizer for several different groups and a Lead Organizer for another. I can assist her with tweaking the "About Page". You may also leave suggestions for the "About Page" in this thread. Thank you in advance.
A former member
Post #: 5,927
Lea & Everyone Else --

We could do a lot more with the About Page that we have. In fact, we could have multiple About Pages now...

It's really limitless.

As an example of this, I'm going to show off the About Page from my SF Writer group.

In addition to the main page, I have the following subsidiary pages:

Still want to know more?

Check out:

Okay, you say... How does this apply to our Roleplayers Group?

Here are some of the possibilities that I would see for this group:

A Page Devoted to a FAQ
A Page Devoted to LINKS, especially member sites.
A Page Devoted to each of the major events you have...
Member Pages which members can create for themselves listing their favorite games, the campaigns they are in now, etc.

ONE Important detail: we can set the permissions on these pages so that any member of this group can edit them, if that is what is wanted. This means that they could be updated by the membership directly. This works the same way that Wikipedia does... Edits are tracked, and it is effortless to roll back to previous versions. So if someone decides to abuse it, you can kick 'em out and fix the page. However, I think that this could have the potential to involve lots more of the group, and make the updating of these pages easier.

Would this be something that you all would want? Jack, Mario, Lea, please respond.

EVERYONE ELSE --
If you want your member page listed, why not just link to it here, in this discussion? Tell us about your page, and what you want us to say in the annotation we provide.

Hmm
Ferin
ferinesarafyn
Minot, ND
Post #: 164
All of this sounds awesome! Some of the stuff that I had in the files section for organizer review might be better off on a separate "About" pages.

I'll check out your links a little later. I have a new assignment with a different temp agency. Real tight bus schedule in the AM and I'm usually home kinda later than what I'm accustomed to. Need to get to bed soon.

Thanks,
Lea
A former member
Post #: 5,943
Lea et al --

You might want to take a look at the About Page again:

­

Pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 5,951
All of this sounds awesome! Some of the stuff that I had in the files section for organizer review might be better off on a separate "About" pages.

Having looked at your files section, I think that it might be easier to have some of this in about pages that everyone in the group can edit... Especially anything that are lists of open games in the metro area, or a links page.

Do you want me to start creating buttons for the proposed FAQ, Links, and Games pages? I think I'll just go ahead and do it. We can always change this stuff later.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 5,952
Okay Lea --

I created a framework for you. It's now up to you guys to start filling it in. Add whatever you like between the dividers.

­­­­­

Hmm