Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › GM Apprenticship program to improve GMing quality and quantity?

GM Apprenticship program to improve GMing quality and quantity?

A former member
Post #: 4
it has occurred to me that the art of GMing is a very complex and often subtle one that would be improved if it included some hands on training. so i think we should try out a GM apprenticeship because it would make it easier for Older and newer GMs to run a game
Jack
southwestmetrogm
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 296
I think this is an awesome idea and one which I actually conceived of some time ago, but have not had the time to follow up on. What I would really like to do is invite the best game masters that I (or other people) know to come and explain and give examples of how they GM games. Additionally, I would love to craft scenarios for GMs to help prepare them for situations like games that go off the rails (for good or bad), presenting interesting NPCs, story-crafting and other common GM tasks, and then to be critiqued (gently) by other GMs. The hardest part of this, however, is finding those experienced GMs willing to help. So I put out the call... If you are an experienced game master and would like to help those less experienced, raise your hand (and post in this thread)!

Jack
Organizer
Charles
drsuperfly
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 76
I'd be happy to help with this. I can't make it to Tower Games most of the time as I live north of 694. If we could do something in Roseville that would be great.
Keith S.
KeithStrickland
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I would be willing to help apprentice others. Plus I imagine there is quite a bit I could learn from other experienced GMs as well!
A former member
Post #: 12
Im down. However, I will say that my knowledge base, though vast and wide, is limited (double entedre?) to just a few games (3.5, Cyberpunk, Palladium being a few). But I am more than willing to share my knowledge.

-J-
Logan
user 3550522
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 19
I'd be interested in some form of GM workshop. Different GMs could speak on their strengths and give instruction on different aspects of running a game. I think if you were to ask those involved to focus on one or two topics and have multiple speakers it could be an informative event.
Some topics: custom map-making, GM aids/props, using technology at the table, developing stories/adventures/campaigns, making NPCs memorable, dealing with problems at the table, specific rule system instruction/walk through, keeping the players interested/involved, preparation tips, etc.

As far as apprenticeship goes; I have run a successful World of Darkness campaign for almost five years with 4-6 players. I'm currently on a yearly Summer break but I'm just about ready to start it up again. If anyone is interested in getting together to help out with story ideas/development and running sessions, we game every other Thursday evening from six until around ten-thirty. I live in Minneapolis and work on the prep there but we generally game in a Fridley office building.
Paul O.
user 4986770
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 18
I would also be interested in attending. CONVergence had a couple of REALLY great GM panels that were VERY heavily attended. Obviously there's interest in the subject.

Charles brings up the good point that holding these meetings at dates and times other the regularly schedules meet-up meetings is probably a good idea.

The format at CONVergence for the advanced gamemastering was two parts; intros followed by questions from the audience in a "stump the panel" semi-open discussion moderated by the panel. This worked very well, in large part because the people on the panel were REALLY well organized.

I think this would work better than a semi-formal lecture for two reasons:
1) Everybody has good ideas and sharing the problem-solving process with the audience will get better answers
2) GM's are like cats and don't like to be herded

The two areas that would seem to work naturally to me are Tower Games and the Fantasy Flight Event Center. Does anybody else have better suggestions?

How about days and times?

I think we should hold these meetings monthly at most to avoid burn-out.
Jeff
user 5636054
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 50
I would be up for this, too. I play in Logan's game as well as run two other games. Our group has been around for a while and has a lot of experienced players and GMs. I think having a different date than the usual meetup is a good idea. I also think it would be better to to an extended, possibly weekend, block of time. I think a quarterly meeting is probably best. It gives potential and experienced GMs a chance to build up some questions and collect possible material.

There are a lot of different styles out there and I think all of us could benefit from this type of discussion.

Jeff
A former member
Post #: 6
days hours times....
lets from here on have a format of the following to help establish contact information.

Day/Time/Place

M=Monday

T=Tuesday

W=Wednesday

TH=Thursday

F=Friday

S=Saturday

SU=Sunday
follow this with any comments you have about this topic and about getting to-gather for something like this in general.

here is an example :

MWFSSU/10AM-10PM/The Source Comics and Games.

just pm or email the person for more information
Jack
southwestmetrogm
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 298
So, based on the discussion here I'm currently imagining holding an event on a weekend. If it were a Sunday, Tower Games would be a good choice. They are not very busy on Sundays, (unlike most of the rest of the week) and we could probably get the basement to ourselves, especially with some advanced notice. Fantasy Flight would also be a reasonable option, but I don't know what their weekends look like, and what our chances would be of getting a private space there. Another option that might work for a weekend would be a library. Many have private spaces that can be reserved (with sufficient advanced notice). Based on feedback, I'm imagining 4-5 hours would be best, depending on people's availability. My current availability is as below.

MTThF/6PM-11PM/Anywhere
S/8AM-4PM/Anywhere
Su/12PM-10PM/Anywhere