Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › Anyone interested in playing/running a Shadowrun campaign?

Anyone interested in playing/running a Shadowrun campaign?

Kifaru
user 9907167
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I am very interested in playing Shadowrun. I have not seen the 5th edition rules yet, but I am willing to make the leap. If we decided on 4th edition, I have most of the rule books for that. I also have about 30-40 books from 2nd and 3rd edition. They are a good resource for flavor and world background.

I and currently GMing a Shadowrun campaign and would like to be a player in one.

Steve W.
wilcoxon
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 85
Changes I've noticed so far between 4A and 5:

• Character generation uses priority system but it is much different (and better) than previous versions. However, I still would have highly preferred karmagen as the default character generation system. Until it is, there will always be optimal builds caused by the relative disparity in how expensive things are during generation vs "leveling".
  • Skills can go up to 12 (13 with quality) instead of 6 (or 7).
  • All actions are now capped by limits (similar to how spells are capped by force). The limits are physical, mental, social, by spell, or by gear (weapons are capped by the accuracy of the weapon). This also changes how some other things work (Smartgun link adds to the cap - not to the actual dice).
  • There is only one armor rating (no more ballistic vs impact).
  • Damage values and armor ratings tend to be higher (presumably to give more variance to gear). This makes armor even more valuable.
  • Heavy armor is even nastier - it now generates half rating as auto-successes in addition to its other effects. This makes it even more critical to have a mage (or at least caster) when facing spirits of any real force.
  • Spell drain codes are now based on Force (not Force/2).
  • Mystic Adepts are actually playable (though I haven't actually played one yet).
  • Gear tends to be much more expensive. It would be difficult for a sam to load out nearly as fully in 5.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but that's what I remember running across so far.
Kifaru
user 9907167
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Well, it looks like we have a handfull of interested people. Who wants to give it a whirl?
Cameron
CameronBeman
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
Hi everyone! Sorry I hadn't followed up yet, it's been a busy time.

The new book is out! I'm going to be ordering it from amazon ($60 is too steep!) tomorrow. The tough part will be figuring out timing. If interested people could forum-pm me their email, I can try to figure something out that works for most of us.

Edit: gah! I had thought the release date for the book was August 28, but it seems like it's September 25 instead? Annoyance! Still, we can start some emails going working out scheduling.

Further edit: the PDF is out? But I tend to dislike using electronic documents. But the print edition now seems to be a month out. I'm not sure.
Steve W.
wilcoxon
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 86
PDF was released on July 11. I thought the book was also released in July. They had limited quantities of the softback at Origins (June) and lots of hardbacks (not sure about softbacks) at GenCon...

Interesting, even BattleCorps has SR5 book as pre-order. I would have expected them to have it at distributors by now (let alone be selling it from their own shop)...

edit/addition:
Wow! Not even any on eBay (several Origins copies went for $200-$350 but that was back in June). It doesn't look like anyone put up any GenCon copies (which shocks me if the book isn't generally available yet).
Cameron
CameronBeman
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
Publishing and distribution are famously prone to problems, so who knows what happened.
Kifaru
user 9907167
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
Do people want to wait for the 5th edition to come out? Anyone interested in playing 4th edition in the meantime?
Carl B.
brozengan
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 23
Carl here. Looking forward to this. Anyways, anyone know where you can find the basics of this online at all or anything?
Adam
Z1pp0
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 50
I don't honestly care what version I learn, I'm just excited to get this thing underway.
Steve W.
wilcoxon
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 87
For just learning I would suggest going with SR5. The only reason to stick with SR4 is if players (or the GM) really want to use material that hasn't been released for SR5 yet (most likely Runners Companion, Augmentation, or Arsenal).

On the other hand, I won't have time to join in this game so my vote doesn't really count.