Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › Anoka county D&D 4E

Anoka county D&D 4E

eric c.
user 111368552
Andover, MN
Post #: 1
Anyone looking to join in on a Tuesday group, 11-2? We have 4 right now and would like maybe 2 more. We play at my house in Andover. Right now we are lvl 15 and have the tool kits online to make and store characters.
Troy S.
SkullThrone
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 53
I've had two groups I've been apart of get to Paragon levels and I have to say that I'm not sure I like the vanilla 4E for campaigns that get over 10th level. Just wondering if your seeing some of the same issues that I saw at that level with typical adventures...

Primarily my findings were often the battles were very long and the enemy sides often had HP totals in the 1,000s sometimes 2,000+. At this quantity the battle goes into the 20+ rounds where after the 10th everyone is done to their At-Wills.

Secondly, the Resist and damage reduction at the party level reduces a lot of the attacks to scratches, where you seldom feel like your in any danger, except when the party itself totally fails at defensive posturing.

Just curious if you've seen this or have adopted any house rules to make game play at that level more streamlined / exciting? It's possible that you may not have encountered the issues I've described as well.
eric c.
user 111368552
Andover, MN
Post #: 4
Hey Troy,
Last year I wrote a 3 tier paragon campaign for a group of 6 players and throughout the first tier I found that the characters where little weak and I had to change up the encounters somewhat to make sure they survived, not live because a death here and there I think helps build the group and then I can gauge their response and reactions to said death.
Getting into the second tier was little more challenging. The players were stronger like you said and their gear was much better. The encounters were too easy and I have to adapt to them. This is when I started to change things up. I wouldn't use the encounter makeup that is in the DM guide nor would I use the monsters in the manual. I started to use the online website for DnD and create my own encounters/monsters and change or add powers. This way the group would face off against 3-4 tougher monsters and not 6-8 like the book would suggest. I would also throw in 2 encounters forcing the players to play smart but at the same time find the best/fastest way to resolve the encounters and still live.
By the third tier of the campaign I started to make mirror images of the characters but just evil, giving them their own magical gear, encounter powers, daily's and utilities, at one point I had my two brother-in-laws come in and play the evil characters. I think this was the most fun the group had and also the most challenging.
I think to best answer your question every DM has changed the rules to better fit what they want to get out of the campaign and from the players. I like 4e because of the freedom I have had with what I described and I am interested in the next expansion to see what they keep and throw out.