addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Barker - D'Souza debate

Barker - D'Souza debate

justin c.
justncase80
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10
I just wanted to start a thread for people to get out some of the points they were thinking about while the debate was going on.

The thing that I remember most clearly was while at one point D'Souza said something to the effect of "you wouldn't give up your bus seat to an old woman then tell her you expect her to return the favor next week". I couldn't help but think at the time that while you might not expect her to give up her seat in a week you are probably expecting someone to give up their seat for you when you are 80. The truth is the exact opposite of the point he was trying to make, it makes perfect sense to act altruistically without any immediate perceivable gains because by doing so we are nurturing a culture where we may be the beneficiaries of altruism in our times of need.