May 22, 2014 · 7:00 PM
The Alley NYC
Anyone who is looking to build their first Android application should attend this workshop.
Before attending the workshop please do the following:
• Install Android Studio - https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html
• Install Android SDK via SDK Manager (We only care about 4.0+) - https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html#Start
• If you do not have an Android device install Genymotion and setup a virtual device - http://www.genymotion.com/
(if you run into any issues, feel free to contact me or show up early so I can try to help)
We will cover:
• Basics of Java - variables, functions, logic statements (ie: if, if else), and loops.
• Cover the basics of Android Studio IDE and the Android project structure.
• Develop an Android application! (more info below)
What will we build:
We are going to develop a simple jokes application and in the process you will learn how to work with the following:
• Activities and AndroidManifest.xml
• Android resource files Creating layouts via GUI interface and with XML.
• Referencing layout elements to display text to the user and handle button clicks.
After the above is finished, we will extend the application to email the joke to a desired email address by using Sendgrid's Java library.
Class will be taught by Michael Carrano