**As of September 15th, all past members who have not submitted an online questionnaire have been removed. If you missed the deadline, please rejoin as a new member. Thank you!**
Are you and your pup looking for something fun to do with people who share a force-free, positive training philosophy?
Our walks provide members with a fun social experience for their dogs. The design of our walks provides a supportive framework in which like-minded dog owners learn how to actively and positively improve the relationships they have with their dog. We do this by frequently delivering rewards (positive reinforcement) for all desirable behaviors. Your dog will love you for rewarding what s/he does correctly!
If your dog already walks calmly on lead, you’ll continue rewarding that behavior. Owners of reactive dogs will be guided toward the compassionate use of counterconditioning, the behavior modification technique commonly used to help fearful/anxious dogs learn to be less frightened. Our goal is to help everyone show their dogs that behaving well is fun!
We strive for your dog to leave our walks better trained, more responsive, and happier than when s/he arrived!
To further support our members, we offer monthly Trainer Attended Walks. We have partenered with Roseann Burrets-Baars CPDT-KA, CVT, CCRP of Big Tail Waggin’ Dog Training, who has more than 20 years of experience in the field of dog training. Her methods focus on positive reinforcement, compassionately educating dogs and their families throughout the training process. Once a month she joins the Walk Guides to offer a specially designed walk (Trainer Attended Walks) that will include her donation of modern, high quality training and behavior tips throughout.
Although part of our group’s mission focuses on educating the public about the negative perceptions that are wrongly associated with pit bull-type dogs, this is not a pit bulls only group. We do not discriminate based on breed, shape, size, nor appearance. We encourage owners of all breeds looking for a safe and compassionate dog walking experience to join.
PLEASE READ BEFORE JOINING
Once you join, you must complete a brief questionnaire about your dog and attend one of our Trainer Attended Walks prior to being approved to attend all future walks. Please answer openly and honestly. You will not be denied membership based on your answers! It will be used to determined what your needs will be on our walks. Our Trainer Attended Walks serve as a way to determine your dog’s comfort level and if s/he is ready to participate in regularly scheduled walks. The welcome email you will receive provides further details.
In order to achieve our goal to actively and positively affect each dog, we have very specific guidelines for our group. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with them.
1. Health: All dogs must be spayed/neutered and up to date on shots.
2. Leashes: No retractable leashes allowed. All leashes must be no longer than 6 feet. All dogs must remain on leash at all times.
3. Equipment: Part of our group’s mission is to educate the public about responsible ownership and is hinged on the belief that animals should be treated with compassion and respect. With this, we only allow the use of non-aversive training tools on our walks. This includes harnesses, head collars, Martingale collars that are fitted properly, and flat buckle collars. To learn more about appropriate training tools or equipment, please see our “recommended training equipment” page on our website by clicking here.
4. One to One: Each human should walk only one dog at a time.
5. Children: Each dog should be walked by an adult. For everyone’s safety, please make sure that only you, the adult, walks your dog, and only bring children over the age of 12 who understand that they should not approach other dogs.
6. Communicate: Please update your RSVPs to walks and events. We understand that last minute emergencies may happen. However, the dogs can become agitated waiting to begin walks. Therefore, if you are a “no-show” more than once, you will be removed from the group. Also, please make sure you have the Walk Leader’s cell phone number so you can call if lost or late. Unless we hear from you, we will assume you are a “no-show” and begin the walk.
7. Behavior: If your dog loves everyone and everything, then you are one lucky human! Have fun and enjoy the walk! However, be mindful of other dogs that might not be OK to approach. Some of our members' dogs need space. To make sure that everyone's experience is enjoyable, please only allow your dog to approach dogs s/he is familiar with. On Trainer Attended Walks, please keep all dogs 10 feet apart until we begin walking.
Our Walk Leaders reserve the right to ask anyone who cannot abide by these rules to leave the walk. It is our goal to make our walks enjoyable, safe, and beneficial for all. Our goal is to actively and positively impact each and every dog that comes through our group.
If you are a dog owner who shares our reward based training philosophy and are looking for a way to have fun with your dog, then this is the right group for you!
You must be a member to participate in group walks. It is free to join our Meetup group, with a suggested $5.00 donation.
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.