Ben Campbell
benjica
Cut Bank, MT
Post #: 4
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hello all!

I've been passively following along with the community for quite a while. As a resident of a small rural community it has been difficult to find time and resources to trek to the various locations to participate in the great variety of meetups. I am sure I am not alone in this predicament and wonder how many others would like to be involved in the community but can't due to distance and resources.

I feel as though an online community could help share the wealth of experience and offer avenues for programmers to connect with one another. Outside of meetup.com there does not seem to be much of a online presence outside of updates regarding major events. It is understandable in that online social platforms are too well insulated to provide a direct rewarding experience.

I have seen various other communities of use Google Hangouts with a great deal of success. It provides a very engaging and personal connection to many people. I am interested in establishing an online presence for MT Programmers on Google Plus providing a platform for reoccurring hangouts. The Frequency and topic could be decided upon based on interest and participation. The Hangout feature is truly a novel way of communicating as a group.

In conclusion, the size of this meetup is considerable and indicative of a very interested group of like minded thinkers. However, it is probable that members of the group are geographically dispersed. I hope that mechanisms, such as Google Plus, provide a way of collaborating with a wide range of people in a valid and rewarding way. Hopefully, this post brings the idea to the attention of the group administrators and gain support with members.
Ashton Sanders
Ashotn.Sanders
Polson, MT
Post #: 67
I like this idea a lot!
Rob Lund
roblund
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 17
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I've been thinking through this idea as well. I would be interested in attempting something like this. I think what would be best is picking a topic for discussion and a then I can make a Meetup event one evening and we can all get on and try it out.

In the past, we've attempted to livestream a couple of the standard meetups. It worked okay, but we there were hiccups. We might try some of this again in the future.

We've also recorded a couple of the meetups and posted them on Vimeo, and that works okay as well.

A couple other online community ideas that we could try include developing this discussion forum further. It isn't a terrible forum platform, and it is already attached to our Meetup identity. In order to transform into a vibrate online community, I think all it needs is a couple dedicated folks to make sure new content continues to get posted and discussions started. It might take a little while for people to get into it, but I think it is possible.

We have an MT Programmers IRC channel on Freenode (­http://www.meetup.com...­). There aren't a ton of people that sign into this everyday, but again I think several dedicated people could change that.

Lots of us are on Twitter. We could start some sort of comprehensive list of Twitter handles so people could connect with others easily.

We've got a decent Facebook page (https://www.facebook....­) that could help foster discussion.

I like this idea, and I am all for trying out things like Hangout to see if we can make some stuff work. biggrin
Carmen Tucker
user 28746532
Kalispell, MT
Post #: 2
I love this idea and would love to participate. Count me in!
Ashton Sanders
Ashotn.Sanders
Polson, MT
Post #: 69
Thanks Rob for the links and info. I didn't know we had an IRC channel. I'm in!

See you tomorrow.
Jade Robbins
jaderobbins
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 9
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I would totally be willing to give a Hangout meetup a shot! Sounds like a really fun idea.

I also agree that we can try and develop these forums more. One thing that helps is that in your notificaiton settings you can get a daily digest of the forum (if something was posted) which can be helpful. I find that most of the time when people post on here I had no clue. Now that I've changed my notification settings I'll try and be much more active.
David Goodman
user 50428192
Helena, MT
Post #: 4
How about we also add Hangouts to our regular meetups? It would give those in other cities the opportunity to join in on some great discussions!
Scott Rouse
scottwrouse
Missoula, MT
Post #: 28
I'll try to remember to announce a Hangout for our Drupal Users Group meetup next week.
Ben Campbell
benjica
Cut Bank, MT
Post #: 5
I've been thinking through this idea as well. I would be interested in attempting something like this. I think what would be best is picking a topic for discussion and a then I can make a Meetup event one evening and we can all get on and try it out.

That was what I was thinking. If we can garner enough support and determine a time and event we can give it a try. I am not a very experienced presenter, but I could certainly give it a try if nobody more experienced steps up. I was thinking I could present an overview of Big O notation and algorithm efficiency.

In the past, we've attempted to livestream a couple of the standard meetups. It worked okay, but we there were hiccups. We might try some of this again in the future.

We've also recorded a couple of the meetups and posted them on Vimeo, and that works okay as well.

I think there is a significant difference between streaming a live event online and creating a even online. It is difficult to participate in an event as a viewer to a stream. This is why I think Hangouts would be a great platform that equalizes all participant geographically.

A couple other online community ideas that we could try include developing this discussion forum further. It isn't a terrible forum platform, and it is already attached to our Meetup identity. In order to transform into a vibrate online community, I think all it needs is a couple dedicated folks to make sure new content continues to get posted and discussions started. It might take a little while for people to get into it, but I think it is possible.

This delves right to the root of the issue that the group limited in it's online presence. People pursue the methods that are most rewarding and fulfilling. Finding methods that bring users together and truly spread the wealth of knowledge will help gear more community online.

We have an MT Programmers IRC channel on Freenode (­http://www.meetup.com...­). There aren't a ton of people that sign into this everyday, but again I think several dedicated people could change that.

Lots of us are on Twitter. We could start some sort of comprehensive list of Twitter handles so people could connect with others easily.

We've got a decent Facebook page (https://www.facebook....­) that could help foster discussion.

I like this idea, and I am all for trying out things like Hangout to see if we can make some stuff work. biggrin

I have my phone connected to IRC now so I will be more present on the channel. I am pretty active on twitter and Google+ as well. I forsake Facebook a long time ago. I can't really think of a good way to centralize everyone's handles on various networks so I will just list mine and welcome invites.

IRC: benjica
http://www.twitter.co...­
https://plus.google.c...­
Shawn Wilson
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 3
I just tried out my first Google Hangout. I think it's a great idea to use it during meetings!